Feeling so Good

Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling so Good

The short version is yesterday, after being irked about him drinking and giving him the cold shoulder, I gave up. I'm tired of being mad at him. Tired of smelling beer. Tired of his "needing a nap" at 3 in the afternoon. So I told him there is no alcohol allowed in my home anymore. This place and the property are alcohol free zones. I told him what he does about his drinking is his business, but this house is my business and from this moment forward there is no drinking allowed.

His response? "It's your house."

I dropped him off for an appointment and he kissed me goodbye.

Not sure what will happen but I'm just glad that I've made my position clear.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good boundary.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Are there any bars within walking distance? Otherwise he could come in the house drunk as a skunk and still, technically, not be violating the rule. Hopefully hes not in this stage but what about vanilla extract, mouthwash ect... I guess my point is if he wants to drink and he is an alcoholic then he will find a way. Alcoholics can be very resourceful when it comes to hitting the bottle.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, several. We'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Right now the message that sitting around here drinking is no longer acceptable is enough. I can see he's weighing things in his head. He knows he's an alcoholic, but he doesn't like being "controlled" in this way, but he knows this is in his best interest.

We will see who he decides he wants to be.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is an excellent boundary! Even if he does get drunk at a local watering hole and comes in the house that way, it is good that he will not be actively drinking in your home. It is no longer a "safe haven" for his habit and you are letting him know you don't accept it. Be proud of yourself, and stick to it!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trust me, I will. He's been sulking all evening. Tough cookies.