Notices

Day 1!! still donno if I should quit :)

Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1!! still donno if I should quit :)

Dear all,

Today is my first day of the quit. First of all I would like to tell you about my drinking.

started drinking in the year: 1998, light drinking only in weekends 3-4 beers (was already smoking a pack cigarettes a day from 1997).
heavy drinking: 6 pack (500 ml each) a day from 2005 - 2010 and 10-12 beers (500 ml) in the weekend.
stopped drinking for 10 months from Jan 5th 2010, as I quit smoking (cold turkey) on this date.
started drinking again from Nov 2010, I would say my drinking was moderate from this period (two 500 ml beers a day). Though I started boozing again, I did not smoke. But recently I started having blackouts in the middle of night when I go to pee. I don't know how long the blackout lasted, as I was too sleepy at that time. it usually happened after peeing. I blame the alcohol as i do have this symptom, when I do not consume any alcohol.

I was a healthy man from the beginning and now the f%^&ing alcohol has made my body weak, giving me blackouts. want to say good bye to it.

I'm surely going to miss the after beer jokes with most of my funny friends

Thanks for reading my story till here, will keep you posted
Kris.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR krismech

I think blackouts are an excellent reason to quit - I did not quit and I got used to them...and things got a lot worse.

I think you're being very wise thinking about this now
D
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having let my drinking get worse and have had recent serious problems I say to you quit now while you can NOW. If you quit now it'll be easier than if you let yourself slide further.

I got to a point where my drinking was dangerous and kept going even deeper. Now that I've reached a point where I have to quit or die I'm going through a nightmare recovery. Don't let this happen to you.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can see from your post that you have experienced the progresive nature of alcoholism. Unfortunately, things can get a lot worse. I wish I had quit when I was your age.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm so glad you are here. I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear all,

Thanks for the quick replies and the boost. I like this forum, as it started giving me a sense of strength and a hope that I can do it.

Best Regards,
Kris
Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kris, I first posted on this board when I wanted to kick the booze, but it took another two years from my first post, till when I actually had my last drink. Things got pretty bad in those two years; alcoholism is a progressive and fatal illness; and it's not a very nice death either (it's my family illness).

I hope today is the first day of many years sober for you.

However, if you struggle to stop, you may wish to try A.A.; it's the way I stopped; it was a life saver for me, it explained to me what my problem really was and showed me a course of action that not only removed the desire to drink from me, but how to live a happier and sober life.

I'm actually grateful to be a recovered alcoholic; that probably sounds weird; but I've learnt so much from it and even have my own special meaning to life.

Too good to be true? Probably, but it is true.

I hope your journey goes well; but if life doesn't improve now you've stopped drinking; honestly, get to A.A. and find out why this is so.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am about your age, and I know very well the struggles of quitting alcohol. I wish you the best! Keep posting!