Notices

Quitting cold turkey

Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting cold turkey

Hi everyone

I'm quitting once again and have been reading here about safe ways to do this, tapering off, seeing your doc etc. I won't be able to see a doctor for at least a week as i am moving country, tapering off seems like its going to be difficult as i can't stop at one..
I shave stopped before for a couple of days and apart from some nervousness and some rapid heartbeats at night i haven't had any withdrawal symptoms. ( i have been drinking 4-5 beers to a bottle of wine a day, sometimes more on weekends, sometimes a day without or just the one beer)

Since i can't see a doctor what would your suggestions be? I have some small dose xanax would this be helpful? I've bought B complex, E complex and intend to eat very healthily....
Thanks a million to all of you, I love this site so much, I recognize, i cry and i laugh! Intending to stop lurking here so much and become more engaging here too

Anna xx
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend you always see a Dr - even if it's not your normal GP, Anna.
Make it a priority.

I detoxed without medical supervision many times, with no apparent ill effect - the last time though was different.

You can never predict what may happen - play it safe

D
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I recommend you always see a Dr - even if it's not your normal GP, Anna.
Make it a priority.

I detoxed without medical supervision many times, with no apparent ill effect - the last time though was different.

You can never predict what may happen - play it safe

D
Playing it safe is good. I remember when i tried to quit last year, everything was fine for more than 2 weeks, suddenly as i was driving, i stopped by the 7-11 to get a soda, and strangely after that till i reached home, which was a 40min drive, i didn't know how i got back home! when i realised i was parked in front of my house. It was so scary and i swore to go see a doc in the morning. That night, I had convulsions up till a point i fell of my bed. Fearing i would get DT, i drank my secret stash and went back to sleep.

This time around i'm just waiting till i see my counselor/doctor and see what medication they give me, if any. Not gonna take the risk again.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your replies, Suresh that sounds really scary what happened to you, hope you're ok.

If i would wait to stop and be going to see a doctor what exactly would he be checking, and how do you get supervised if you are at home? Would they distribute pills etc? Curious to know as i doubt very much i would be hospitalised?

Thanks again a million
Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The day I quit the my doctor checked all my vitals, reviewed my bloodwork from the previous month, prescribed some vitamins and other *things* to help with the DTs. I also saw her everyday for 4 days until I started in-patient treatment, at which point I was sufficiently detoxed but highly monitored.

I could not have done it without my dr's help and I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Laanisa, we don't know what your dr would be checking or whether you need some kind of medication or not. We really can't give medical advice here. I hope you go to an ER if you can't talk to a dr about stopping drinking.