Notices

How to say no thanks?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to say no thanks?

So I've just started a new job where there is a very big drinking culture. For example staff meetings are held each Friday afternoon and staff are encouraged to drink up company supplied booze. There are also lots of work functions and so on where lots of drinking is done.

What are some great ways to say no thank you without drawing attention to the fact that I have a drinking problem?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All you have to say is "I don't drink."
Old 08-03-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would say I don't drink. A lot of people don't drink. If they ask why, say my system can't handle alcohol. It is not a lie. Besides, it is non of their business. There is nothing for you to be ashamed about.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by edeneen View Post
All you have to say is "I don't drink."
Yup "I don't drink".

That phrase is only an issue for alcoholics, IME.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with SSIL if someone has an issue with "I don't drink", it's THEIR issue. I realize this is a work situation and there is all that politcally correct stuff of not offending people by not drinking (especially if it's a boss) --- Know it IS politically correct and okay to not drink. I said "yes" to this too many times when I worked in the same environment, because I didn't understand it was okay to say no. If this is too short for you, cite health reasons :-)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am allergic to alcohol.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I ran into this last night on another forum. I posted there obsessively when I was drinking. I even attended a couple of parties where I got blackout drunk. I disappeared for almost 3 years in which I was still mostly drinking. I came back last night and my old friends were there. Some live near me and mentioned taking me out for drinks. I told them buying me drinks wasn't necessary unless thet were colas but was I still invited. They told me yes with some gentle ribbing. Made me feel great! I'm finding telling people I don't drink is very accepted.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

other advise

Any advise on what to tell old friends and family members that are used to you drinking with them? What can you say without getting into the whole story? What if "I don't drink" isn't enough?
Over the past 10 days I've been somewhat isolated. I know I will get into this type of situation soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 725bygrace View Post
Any advise on what to tell old friends and family members that are used to you drinking with them? What can you say without getting into the whole story? What if "I don't drink" isn't enough?
Over the past 10 days I've been somewhat isolated. I know I will get into this type of situation soon.
If it's someone closer to me, but not so close that I want to get into the whole addiction/abuse thing, I usually say something like: "The older I got the worse I felt when I drank, so I decided to quit to see how I felt. I feel so much better now and I don't miss it." It's interesting that what I hear from a lot of people after I say that is "Yeah, I've been thinking I should cut back..."
Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In a work or situation where I don't know people very well, I would say, "I don't drink" or "I'm taking medication that requires me to abstain." or something like that.

For friends and family or people I have more of a connection to, I would say, "Alcohol was interferring too much with my life. So I decided to stop drinking it."
Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

"I dont drink, cant bear the taste of the stuff"

Always works.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Englishrose70 View Post
"I dont drink, cant bear the taste of the stuff"

Always works.
I like this one. It would be good self-brainwashing, too! :-)
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

My counselor said that alcoholic and addicts typically have problems with boundaries. It's ok to say "I don't drink", and if someone asks why to say "for personal reasons".

There's nothing wrong with that and hardly anyone would even ask you the "why" anyways.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by 725bygrace View Post
"Alcohol has been giving me headaches lately so I'm taking a break." You don't have to say for how long.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaleMale View Post
I am allergic to alcohol.
Weird thing, not only am I an alcoholic where my brain and body react and process alcohol differently, but when I quit drinking what I thought were severe allergies (coughine, sneezing, hacking, sinuses, etc.) cleared up almost overnight. So I can say both no thanks, I don't drink and I'm allergic. In any case, I'm not ashamed to be a sober person, I was a shamed to be a drunk. Its all good.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When i 1st started work, the company i was working for was basically an alcoholic company. Any employee working there can drink for free at the local pub just walking distance from our factory.

As i was drinking heavily, i was more than happy then. But my childhood friend, who was also working there then, decided to stop drinking and be vegetarian for religious purposes.

But all his answer was when the big bosses would come up to us and ask us to join them at the pub after work was:

"Sorry Sirs, I dont drink." why? "its personal Sirs. I dont mind following to the pub but i will just have a carbonated drink"

-- worked a few times, then they stopped asking altogether
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think "No, thanks!" is more than enough to say. If people won't accept that statment, then they are being rude. Personally, I would not tell people that I work with that I am an alcoholic. There are too many stereotypical beliefs of what an alcoholic is.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I carry around my own drink (Coke Zero or my water cup). "I already have a drink, thank you."
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Anna stole my post LOL!

How to say "no thanks'?

How about, "No, thanks".

-SD
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Me: "Sorry dude, I dont drink, I hate that you already opened that beer for me"

Bubba: "You sure man?, it's really cold, dont make me waste it."

Me: "I dont drink"

Bubba: "It's ok, I'll drink it lol"