Notices

I'v been sober for almost 96 hours now!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'v been sober for almost 96 hours now!

I found this site a few days ago and found it to be very helpful. I've been drinking 8 to 12 beers for the past 5 years and 3 to 6 beers for the previous 5years. I used beer to help with my anxiety. Over the past 2 months I've been cutting down on my drinking. During the past month I drank 1 to 2 beers a night except for 4 nights where I drank 4, 5, or 6. Last week I was sober for 96 hours but drank 6 beers when I got alot of anxiety. It is now almost 96 hours sober again and I am feeling very anxious. I don't want to drink and I am doing my best not to. I am worried about withdrawal symptoms and I fear the dt's. Other than anxiety I have had some nausea and insomnia. No trembling or sweating. Just need some support this time. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On my way....

I don't have any experience with DT's....I'm sure there will be others who will be along to help you with that. I want to welcome you to SR, you're in the right place for help.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome back. Not sure if it's DTs but if you're concerned, you should get checked out by a doc. Congrats on your 96 hours! Now is the time to start extending that time without any breaks. If you did 96 then 12 more is not bad, then 12 more, then 24 more...you have it in you so believe and do not be swayed from sobriety.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good time to see a doctor about your anxiety. You maybe suffering with depression and medication would be something that the doctor by give you to help with it. If you have help insurance then go see your family doctor.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR SteveyD

The best is to to have a doctors supervised detox...so if that is available do go for it.

Your here now and congrats for committing yourself to a life free from alcohol addiction. Maybe continue to read and comment on post that move you post here at SR. SR is a big site with plenty of supportive members to help you on your wellness journey.

I would suggest on having a recovery plan to aid you in recovery. AA or SMART Recovery are just two suggestions I can offer.

What is CBT
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
SMART Tools AA Books
SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework
SMART RecoveryŽ - Articles and Essays
Alcoholics Anonymous : Click on the Book You Would Like to Read
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best place to go if you feel at all concerned is your doctor, the local ER, or some other medical authority Stevey.

Detox can be rough for some of us. Better to be safe

Welcome to SR
D
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congratulations!

As above, see your doctor. Anxiety can be a real killer. I know it led triggered many of my relapses. The tough thing is that it is hard to find anti-anxiety drugs that are also nonaddictive, apparently. Get connected with a good Psychiatrist if possible.

Best of luck in your recovery!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Stevey and welcome! It takes a lot of courage to ask questions about this stuff even on an online forum but it is a great first step. I have to agree with the other posters who say see a doctor first and get help with the withdrawl, if there is one, and then to get help for the anxiety with something else.No one wants to see their doc and admit they have a problem, but it really is your life you fighting for here. Much luck and keep us updated.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Stevie, I had seizures detoxing at the end of drinking daze. Those occurred within the first 48 hrs of withdrawal and I was drinking a lot of vodka. I'm not a doctor but 96 hrs should be past the danger zone. Like others have said it may be a good thing to see your doctor.

Congrats on 96 hrs! There is help out there and here.