Notices

I keep trying....

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep trying....

how come nobody notices? i'm feeling so sick right now but i'm afraid to ask for help. my husband and son are in the next room and they don't know what's going on with me, i want to die
Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why don't you talk to them about how you're feeling?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm so embarrassed. i'm the worst kind of drunk, the one who functions, no one seems to notice, even those very close to me, it is too late, i don't know how to bring it up
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please don't give up... it's not too late. I would have given anything if my mom had asked outright for help... she's gone now. Go talk to your family.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fen- Talk to your family. I was where you were. No one knew the extent of my drinking. It can get much worse if you continue. Hugs.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On my way....

Welcome! It's not too late, you are posting here and reaching out aren't you? That's huge! Keep posting, and reading.....we are here for you!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Asking for help was hard for me. Doing recovery alone was far worse. Any time is a good time to ask for help.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Newsflash,

It's not a secret. Trust me they know.

My mom was a hard core alcoholic and everyone knew but her. She would stay in her room all day drinking and then come out stumbling, smiling and slurring setting the house on fire with her cigarette's she forgot about and her cooking which she would forget as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not going to lie, it was hard for me to bring it to my significant others attention too. I was crying uncontrollably, but it felt like a weight was lifted when I got honest with myself. Keep posting. We are all here for you.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, maybe you need to talk and they need to listen, at least your husband. And sometimes people close to you know or suspicion more than you're aware of. We all need help and support during difficult times even when asking seems like such a scarey time. Ask yourself, what's the worst that can happen? Not the end of your ot their world, maybe a new beginning.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fen-
there is a chat room on here as well. I am in the chat now if you would like to talk. There is usually always someone in there if you need to talk
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why are you afraid? Dont be afraid. Perhaps you can say to your husband simply that you dont feel OK and need go to the doctor?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand how you feel, i was afraid to talk about my problem too. About 6 weeks ago, my hubby asked me one night what was wrong and it all came spilling out. He had no idea how much of a problem it was for me. Oh he knew i had a problem but didnt realize I thought it was a problem. Once i opened my mouth it all came spilling out, along with tears, heaving and an emotional breakdown. Since that time his attidude has changed, he is supportive of my decision and helps in the ways he can...my point is, they cant help if you dont ask for help. walk in the other room and just start talking, you might be amazed at the things that come out. But wheither you do or not, we are here to listen.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're among friends here Fen.
I hope you won't let your embarrassment or shame stop you from getting help.

There's a wonderful new life out there with your name on it

Welcome to SR
D
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

if i decide to talk and ask them to take me to the hospital, what do i say to the emergency receptionist?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
If you feel that you need medical detox, please talk with your family. The hospital can give you something for the alcohol withdrawal. Not all places do this, but if you talk with your family, they can call ahead and ask.

Another option is to speak with your family doctor about this. The alcohol detox protocol is fairly standardized, and your doctor may be willing to write you a script for detoxing at home. This usually takes 4-5 days, but it would be best if your family knew that you were detoxing.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i dozed off for a little while, just woke up. very nauseated thanks for all the good advice. i'm still struggling with the logistics. if i walk up to the emergency room, what do i say?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fen- just tell the receptionist that you need to see a doctor because you are withdrawing from alcohol. They see it all the time. No need to be worried about what they think. You are worth it and are way more important than anyone's opinion. Hope you seek the help you need.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tell the truth Fen - tell them how much you drink, how long it's been since your last one and list exactly the ways in which you feel unwell

D
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

fen- forgot to mention- just be brutally honest with the doctor. Its the only way they can properly treat you There is nothing they haven't heard before