Notices

I am 1 day sober

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I am 1 day sober

Hello everyone. After months of contemplating and avoiding the fact that I have an addiction I have finally come clean with myself. So here I am. I have never been to a meeting before and not usually a chat room kind of gal. Im just hoping to connect with people who are going through this as well and perhaps just be able to also help someone else out however I can through support. There is strength is numbers! Hope you all have a safe and healthy day, wish me luck....namaste
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome

Congratulations on your one day! This is a great site. I've been reading it for awhile but just signed up as I've, like you, decided to admit I really do have a problem. This is my third try at sobriety, however. Meetings are awesome if you can find one that is right for you. Don't be afraid to post. I've heard it said that the more you talk at meetings, or I guess, post on here, the better chance you have at recovery. Well, good luck to us both, although it's really more hard work than luck. JulyB
Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to both of our newer members...

Please do keep in touch....we are here to offer information and support.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you both

D
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, Namaste right back at ya. Glad you're here and look forward to your posts and replys. I'm not a chat room guy, I like SR because its a step back from that but real caring and intimate in a boundary respectful way.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On my way....

Welcome to SR, glad you are (both) here! Stick with it, post and read, more support here than you can imagine. A better life awaits!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, carpediem (good to have you, too, JulyBabe) -

Congratulations for deciding to get sober!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

Welcome Carpediem & JulyBabe glad you're here.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome! I hope you enjoy this place as much as I have so far.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome, and congratulations on your decision to get sober! You've made a wise decision that shows true integrity and strength of character.

Now is the time for action. I would suggest finding an AA meeting to attend, since you said you have never been to one before. Try it, you may hate it (some do) but that's ok, at least you'll know.

This is a great place to find support as well. Many have found sobriety just through posting on here. For me personally, I had to go to rehab and now attend 12 step meetings regularly and am working the steps. You may or may not need to do this to stay sober, but I would recommend checking out your options at least.

There are other support groups that are not 12 step focused, and they can also be very beneficial for some people. I don't know much about them personally, but I know many forum members are involved and may chime in with some advice.

Either way, congrats and welcome!
-Josh
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome so glad you are here.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you all

I keep trying to post and it keeps disappearing on me! lol. anyway thank you all for your positive energy and well wishes. Day 3 for me here....having some depression/anxiety but i expected this as I am prone to it for years now. been trying to exercise and keep active although I truly dont feel like doing anything except sleeping. I never considered myself an alcohol abuser because I drank wine. I thought well its not hard liquor so it must be fine. Until it turned into a bottle or 2 every night and not remembering anything past 7pm for quite some time! strange logic i had. I have a very addictive personality and thankful I never got too much into hard drugs although I did experiment quite a bit in high school , I am thankful I am not battling alcohol/drug addiction simultaneously. Anyways- will keep on keepin on.........hope everyone has a beautiful day, nice to talk with you all.....
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

julybabe- i wish you much luck in your recovery! this site does seem like a great place to start. everyone seems very welcoming and supportive...we can help each other through this!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks!

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Welcome to SR!
thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem10 View Post
I keep trying to post and it keeps disappearing on me! lol. anyway thank you all for your positive energy and well wishes. Day 3 for me here....having some depression/anxiety but i expected this as I am prone to it for years now. been trying to exercise and keep active although I truly dont feel like doing anything except sleeping. I never considered myself an alcohol abuser because I drank wine. I thought well its not hard liquor so it must be fine. Until it turned into a bottle or 2 every night and not remembering anything past 7pm for quite some time! strange logic i had. I have a very addictive personality and thankful I never got too much into hard drugs although I did experiment quite a bit in high school , I am thankful I am not battling alcohol/drug addiction simultaneously. Anyways- will keep on keepin on.........hope everyone has a beautiful day, nice to talk with you all.....

Hi and welcome to SR

I also did not consider myself an alcoholic, after all, l only drink light beers. But I found myself starting at 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. A case of beer wouldn't even last me 3 days, if on the 3rd day of a case, I only had 5-7 beers left, I would drink them, and consider that a good day for me, but on those days if I still had some Jim Beam left, (it's not mine, I keep it here for when a friend of mine comes over, then I would start on that bottle, and I can't stand the taste of hard liquor.

I started buying 2 - 30 packs when I went out, so that I wouldn't run short on the 3rd day. Made sure that I had enough cigarettes also.

I moved to my new place 3 months ago. Woohoo!!!!!!!! Now no one can see how much I can drink. I isolated myself in my house. Only met one neighbor so far. But, I had my "friends" with me. BEER.

Now that I have stopped, I am going to try to go out and meet friends in my community.

Also, it will be interesting to look at how low my credit card bills will be without the beer on them.