Notices

mending family relationships..

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mending family relationships..

As my recovery progresses and i'm starting to re-learn life straight, I am having a strong urge to reconnect with family. I speak to my family about once a year. My father had surgery yesterday (knee surgery, nothing too life threatening, well as much as any surgery isnt life threatening) I have spoke to him twice and plan to go see him in the hospital tomorrow (he does not live close) The relationship with him has been strained to say the least. He is a lifelong military Man who see's things in black and white, and me being the tree hugging hippy i am, we usually dont see eye to eye. I felt alot of shame in my addiciton that i knew he would not understand. But thats ok. I dont know why now its ok but it is. My addiction kept me in hiding, not wanting anyone to see me high or talk to them under the 'influence'....what Freedom i have now! No hiding, no shame..a clear head with my REAL emotions. I am loving it. I am appreciating it. Its motivation to not go back to where i was.
I know we all tend to come here for a little pick me up and support but i want to share the good too...and this is so good. The happiness in his voice to hear from me, made my day (more like year!) I know this is just a step to who we may become to each other now. Sober is so good
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Do you have a sober friend you can take with you when you go?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will be taking my hubby and kids..so no worries of any relapse. I am thankful that for me, to return to my DOC, it will take a few steps. I can't pick it up at the local convenience store, lol. Plus i have no desire to return to that way of life! No life isnt perfect, but it wasnt when i was using but at least it's the real me living it =)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think mending is an important part of recovery when possible. I mended fenses with my dad some years before he died--alcoholic complications. My 90 year old mom I call every day after not doing that for many months at a time. I'm going to visit her in November for my 65th and my sister's 60th birthdays. Last time I visited I had 3 liters of vodka in my suitcase. This time I plan on traveling light.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A good feeling isn't it Fitz? No hiding, no shame is very liberating for me since i lived this way for so long, too long. Enjoy your visit! =)