Notices

Seeking a Purpose

Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking a Purpose

So, I'm a juvenile diagnosed Diabetic.

Went to school at WVU, graduated in 4 years, on time. That's a victory at the number 1-4 party school, depending on what survey you look at. Just ask my friends that took 5/6/7 years to do undergrad. I'm sharp as a tack, honestly.

I'm paying 632 a month for insurance, and if I don't pay it, I'd be dead. Because, my medicine is over 1500 a month.

I've been unemployed (well, not unemployed, but more like never employed) since graduation in 2009. I have been vying for a decent job since then, but am up against people that have been laid off with 5-15 years of experience. Over 50 jobs have told me I've been beaten out by people with great experience.

Lost my fiance my Junior Year (08'), turned my cheek and figured I'd be just fine graduating 4 months after that with a Comm. degree from a top 20 school.

From that point in time everything has gone downhill. I'm at a very vulnerable point in my life. I have the degree, luckily with no debt from school, funny enough I was able to pay for out of state school with a very good job, but have only been brought in on 2 interviews since, after applying to 2,000+ jobs locally here in D.C.

Actually won a pretty decent amount in Atlantic City when my life was headed in the right direction, but that's run out, even after moving back in with my 'rents. Now, I'll be 19-20K in debt, just to keep myself alive in the next few months, with no insurance/job. No interviews coming anytime soon, if the 300 I've applied for in the past month don't come through.

So, I've turned to drinking recently. Was never a big drinker, but recently that 11.50 bottle of Canadian Mist is my only comfort. I don't want to drink, but that seems like my only "out."

I hate where my life is headed.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, since I am being 100% honest. I turned to drinking after my ex leaving me, had a lot of time sober to focus on my job search here in the past few months. Never noticed an uptick in interviews.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you hate where your life is headed, why don't you change direction? I quit drinking almost two years ago and don't miss it or regret quitting.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

See, I quit drinking. But, it never helped at any point in time.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post
Will continuing with drinking result in an upturn in your fortunes?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post
Do you think you're an alcoholic?

If when you drink a couple of drinks, can you just stop comfortably, or do you feel compelled to drink more? Can you guarantee how much you drink each time you drink?

Can you just stop drinking?

And if you can just stop drinking, when you stop drinking does life actually seem worse?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

You don't seem to like yourself.

Diabetic AND drinking alcohol (sugar) AND complaining about money for meds while paying for EXTRA sugar (alcohol)???

AND in DC where we practically have AA meetings around the clock?

Private message me and I'll find a meeting for you so your LIFE WILL IMPROVE! !

Welcome to SR. Help is here!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Or call 202-966-9115 WAIA and they will find you a meeting!