Notices

brand new! a bit overwhelmed.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

brand new! a bit overwhelmed.

Hey there! So, I just started going to AA for the first time. I've been an alcoholic for about 6 years (I'm 26). I've tried to control my drinking on my own many times throughout the years and the longest I've gone without drinking was like 8-9 days. I am a daily drinker and normally drink to the point of passing out/blacking out. On my days off of work I would drink from the time I woke up til the time I passed out.

Finally, after much consideration and persuasion from a friend who had worked the program...decided to check out AA. I have 5 days sober right now and have gone to 5 meetings. I just got a sponsor today, and that's the part that is a little overwhelming. I enjoy the meetings and listening to other people's stories. I always feel good when I leave the room. But this whole working the 12 steps seems daunting. I don't really consider myself a religious/spiritual person, so that aspect of AA is going to be difficult for me to get behind. I do like the sense of support that the group offers.

I'm really not sure what to make of it yet. All I know is that I can't keep living my life the way that I was and have not been able to stop it on my own. I guess it can't hurt...but it's a lot to take in and parts of it are gonna take awhile for me to get used to.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR lbern

I'm not a member of AA but I know some will be along to share their experiences with the 12 steps

good to have you with us!

D
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi lbern, you're off to a good start! I can sure relate to feeling overwhelmed at first and I wasn't thrilled with the God references in the program either. What eased my mind was it's your own conception of a higher power, it doesn't have to a religious kind of thing. I was pretty convinced God existed but he or she must not like me very much considering how my life was going. My concept changed over time and that's one of the benefits of the steps. Listen to your sponsor and take it easy, if that's possible. My first 30 days I was too shaky to hold a styro foam cup of coffee at the meetings. I still have the big mug I drank coffee out of as a reminder.

You're not alone and you're doing great! hang in there.....
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This looks like a great start. Five meetings in five days and a sponsor - wow! I think if you have questions about the Steps and the programme, the best thing to do at this stage is to discuss them with your sponsor. That is what he is there for. Naturally, this Forum is a really great rescource for finding out about the experiences of other recovering alcoholics but you now have grasped the main tool which help you to get sober and it sounds like you have grasped it with both hands. Well done!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys Yeah, I just met with her for the first time today after the meeting and I'm supposed to call her in the morning to tell her things I'm grateful for and what meeting I'm going to go to that day. And she gave me an assignment for next week. We plan to meet every Monday. I think that with the amount of structure & someone looking after me, my chances of staying sober are a lot better than me just telling myself that I'm not going to drink for a week, or rationing out the amount of drinks I can have, etc.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Fabulous and welcome to SR

Well like i read ealier you are doin great 5 days and a sponsor awesome

I like so many have gone into the program not believing in a god or whatever, i went knowing that i new how to drink all day everyday, but i knew nothing about being sober.

So I went to a meeting and heard the same god oh oh what am i going do. And I just kept goin back then in a just another day or so i realized well these people one were like me and very pleasant to be around, 2 were sober from days to 40 years so I said they definatly know how to stay sober , i need to that. Cause my way did not work.

Well i am only 42 days sober but after 15 years of daily drinking i love it .and its funny cause my meeting tonight was a reflections book discussion. and today passage is about this very subject. I still dont necessarly believe in god , but i have found a higher power which i use to people in the group.

and i hear many say it took them years before they found a "god" of there understanding so dont worry about no rush. the only thing right now is the moment this very moment and dont drink. no matter what everything else will come.

One other thing we do say AA works for a lot of people ,others may not want the group thats all alright what ever path you choose as long as you can be sober is awesome.

Here at AA we do not have the monopoly on soberity.

But so far it works for me, take care and keep goin strong

Ps before if moved here i lived in San Fran, (knob hill) worked at Neptunes Palace, boy i miss most of it . thanks for reminding me
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I have to say you're off to a great start. The 12 steps are intimidating, and trust me when I say that many of us were overwhelmed at first. Just take it bit by bit, trust the process, and more understanding will come in time.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The steps are in order for a reason. You don't do all the steps at one time, though once you've been through them you'll wonder why you were so intimidated, and then you'll do them constantly with little effort.

As far as the spirituality, all you need is some willingness... Are you willing to believe in a power greater than yourself... not necessarily a deity or an organized religious construct... If so you've done step two and step three comes next... And there willingness meets trust.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

If you read chapter 1, you will find that Bill W also had a difficult time with the God Thing and he is the founder of AA!

best wishes on an awesome journey in sobriety!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR, lbern. You're making great decisions to set yourself off on your path. The best person to talk to about the steps is your sponsor; that's what she's there for. But one of the great things about AA is that you can go at your own pace -- nobody's going to push or rush you. I've known people who took a year or more to work them, while others only took a couple of months. AA and your sponsor are there to help you stay sober, period, not beat you over the head with the Big Book until you see the error of your ways.

So take a deep breath and relax. You're in the right place and on the right path. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.

--Fenris.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, (((ibern))). You've got a great start. Sobriety is the foundation; keep that and you can build your castle. Trust your sponsor, or, if you don't, change sponsors.

My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

WOW! And a BIG WeLCOME!

To add to earlier, wow! I spent 25 years around in and out of AA and I finally found a sponsor to work with. I was emotionally bankrupt. You've made a wise choice. Try the following:

visit 4d groups online. Fourth Dimension Group and listen to Bob S. audio tape of the big book (Alcoholics Anonymous)
also read the first 164 pages of the big book and look in the back at the appendices (appendix) for some more info
read the stories in the back of the book, they tell of experience, strength and hope
search AA Speakers online and have a listen. Joe D. and others are quite funny! and very honest. Silas was the first airline pilot to be stripped of the highest of flying honors and eventually returned to flying, but his struggle began in the NEWS! Glad mine didn't!
try to compare IN to what people say. our stories are similiar. Anyone who controls drinking has a problem with alcohol....normal people don't bother thinking about it!

Best Wishes on your recovery!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got a 24 hr chip at the meeting I went to today that made me feel pretty good. I was a bit nervous to go up and get it and have the spotlight on me when others were getting them for 90 days, or years...but I'm glad I did. I am also happy that I was able to go to the baseball game (even though they lost) tonight with my friend and not drink...because normally the two go hand and hand for me.

Tomorrow will be 1 week sober and I've done that before on my own but feel a lot better about it this time around.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Awesome job! The 12 steps are definitely intimidating, but they're steps so you just take one at a time. Strive for progress, not perfection.

Best of luck in your recovery,
-Josh