Notices

hello world

Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

hello world

Hi. I'm DisplacedGRITS. I'm a 30 year old woman living in Wisconsin. I lived most my life in Alabama and moved here for my husband's job a couple of years ago.

I've abused alcohol since I was about 23. It started with getting wasted at a friend's party from time to time, then with my husband a couple times a week, then nightly. It got bad when my husband left our home for what was supposed to be a temp job in WI. It was a mutual decision. Then the job became permanent and we decided I would stay down south and sell the house. That went on for over 2 years.

Soon, I drank every night and through much of the day. I withdrew from friends and family, I was drinking and driving and my house and life went to ****. My mom found me drunk one evening, called K (i'll just call my husband that) and they arranged for him to fly down and move me up. That was a Monday and K flew down that Thursday. I went through withdrawal while trying to pack up my house and pets. My parents kept me at their house. I was so anxious, angry, fearful and ashamed.

After a few months up here (I was still drinking and tore through our roommates liquor supply) we decided I had to stop. I was hospitalized in mid January and was detoxed. The only place that could take me for medical detox didn't have a program so in the 2 weeks between detox and treatment, I drank again. Finally got intensive outpatient treatment and was totally sober for a couple of months. Since then, it's been on again off again but mosly on.

I'm almost 4 days of a hard, several week bender. Night sweats, tremors, virtigo, insomnia and all that fun. I was even planning on getting some vodka and hiding it, lapsing back into my "normal" but i'm just do damn sick of being sick. I have a lot of anxiety about going to AA right now. I've been before but I don't connect well. I was thinking this might be a good starting place.

TLDR: hi. I'm new here.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR (((DisplacedGRITS))) - love the name, BTW

This is a good place for ES&H, people who understand and have been or are going through similar things. Please seek medical care if you need to...alcohol withdrawal can be really serious or fatal.

I totally understand the sick of being sick. When I finally sought recovery, I said "I just can't do this any more" to myself.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I also love your name I'm from Alabama.

Yes, please be careful with the withdrawal/detox... others will tell you to be sure you have medical & professional attention, because it can be very dangerous.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks, Impurrrfect! Love your name as well. I've four of the fuzzy beasties myself. Medically, I think i'm fine. Drinking lots of blue Gatoraid and V-8. I've been through it before where it was much worse. Right now the vertigo and being startled by noise is probably the worst. I'm really glad to be here. It distracts me from wanting to sneak out.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Nice to meet you as well, Jennie! If my virtego isn't much improved by tomorrow, I'm heading in. Need to get my foot checked out anyways. ^_^
Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR DisplacedGRiTS
I'm glad you're thinking about a Dr - it really is the responsible thing to do

D
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Midwest! I'm a Minnesota gal myself, so we're neighbors. I know how hard this all can be, but please remember that you're not alone. I'm 30 years old as well and have done plenty of drinking through the years. I've made a lot of progress the past couple of months, and there are so many people on here who have had years and years of sobriety. Try to suck up their wisdom. That's what I do. Best wishes!!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 08-01-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DG - This really is a great place to be when you feel like a drink. Glad you're getting sober. Those binges can be horrible.

I've been in the south 20+ years and never could get used to grits. Or okra either, for that matter, haha. Other than that, it's home......

Keep reading and posting!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey! I used to live in Mobile! I love grits and okra though but Milwaukee sure knows its way around cheese and meat. Sadly, the only fish they really know is lake fish on Fish Fry Friday.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm a military wife so I'm displaced every 4-5 years. I'm so glad you're here. Thank you for posting and keep coming back.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Welcome DG. I too love the name. I am a transplanted Southern gal living in Michigan for over 13 years. I have come to love MI. Even the snow at the beginning of winter! I do miss the South though.

You can find lots of encouragement and strength here. Good luck on your journey!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR & AA!

Seriously, do you think the other people at the AA meeting felt differently their first few meetings? Did you know many still feel like that today? Does anyone like going to a meeting today?

We go to save our lives.
I have 77 days today (may 16).

Welcome home!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've gone to a few meetings but I have social anxiety and am always the youngest. Also, almost everyone is a native so it makes me long for home. I still haven't come to fully accept WI as home but i'm trying. I'm using SL as a gateway to getting out and finding a few meetings that work for me.