Notices

Thinking about giving AA another shot tonight

Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thinking about giving AA another shot tonight

I know there is a womans meeting at the Church in town where I used to attend ALANON meetings tonight. I actually liked ALANON better I felt more comfortable there but its pretty much the same format. Anyway, I think also because I live in a small beach town and I am well known in my town I see people I know everywhere because I am so known at my gym. I don't want people knowing about my binge drinking habits. My plan is to train my client, go to Zumba (dance class) leave early and try attend the meeting but I am not nervous about going into the meeting the woman were all nice but there was a woman from my gym there who recognized me ugh. I work in the gym. Anyway, I know its anonymous but I dont trust people. I dont want anyone to see me and be like oh she is a fitness instructor/personal trainer with a binge drinking problem? not good could probably ruin my career down here these towns are all really small that surround me.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

I too was very nervous about running into someone I knew. You have to remember that we all attend for the same reason! How do you feel running into them? Probably nothing at all. Going to a womens meeting was the best thing I ever did. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks, FNW but I work in the health/fitness industry thats my only concern its like I am a huge hypocrite
Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can understand that. But you have to remember, she is in that meeting too. You recognized that you have a problem and are doing something about it. There is nothing to be ashamed about. I work in the medical field. I went to the emergency room at a hospital I used to work at for DT's. I could loose my career. However, I have to take steps to get myself well. It is the most important for me right now. Maybe you could go to another town if it worries you so much
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had to shift my perspective and it helped me. By that I mean I work in the medical industry with wellbeing and fitness included. I am in recovery from an eating disorder.

What actually helped me was that I starting working one day a week at a treatment center. The best counselors in that place were in recovery themselves.

That does not mean that I don't have to be careful and responsible to myself and my clients/patients. However when I realize that I can share my experience, strength and hope with someone that I recognize where they are it helps them and it helps me.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a cyclist, not pro, just avid...

I am amazed at the number of cyclists I see here on SR... also, the bicycle culture has a lot of drinkers, steroid users, etc... I know that I thought I was invincible... I am a roadie, and a lot of the hardcore roadies are wacky when it comes to this... but those mountain bikers, especially downhillers, man.... You'd have to be... no, just kidding...

You are NOT a hypocrite if you are trying to get healthy in mind, body and spirit.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I taught school. What a strong person you are to change.

If you think no one knew, you may be wrong!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find a recovery program that works for you, and don't forget that SR is always a good support system.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

What you do for a living is independent of being an alcoholic. I know of people from all walks of life in AA.

Alcohol doesn't give you a free pass just because you went to medical school or became a priest.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Why would that make you a hypocrite? Any more than seeing a doctor, police officer, teacher at a meeting? We all have one issue in common - being an alcoholic. If you knew what some of us do.........
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well, all I can say is I am a retired RN and over the years I have run into others in my field that I know.

I neither break their anonymity nor have they broken mine.

As to being a hypocrite, Nope. I am just showing that I take care of myself and my personal health first to that I could and can continue to give the best service possible to my fellow man.

Over the years I have had some of those in my field come to me on a 'one to one basis' and I believe that I have been able to show them by my own program how to be better at working with their clients.

So, I would say, GO, meet some other women, who have gone through in one way or another what you are going through ................................. they can be a great role model to follow and a lot of help with your 'personal issues.'

J M H O

Love and hugs,

PS I have also seen many Dr's, Lawyers, Police Officers, Judges, and even a Governor or wo in meetings over the years. Just raises my respect for those individuals in that they have found ways to 'better' themselves also.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Well, all I can say is I am a retired RN and over the years I have run into others in my field that I know.

I neither break their anonymity nor have they broken mine.

As to being a hypocrite, Nope. I am just showing that I take care of myself and my personal health first to that I could and can continue to give the best service possible to my fellow man.

Over the years I have had some of those in my field come to me on a 'one to one basis' and I believe that I have been able to show them by my own program how to be better at working with their clients.

So, I would say, GO, meet some other women, who have gone through in one way or another what you are going through ................................. they can be a great role model to follow and a lot of help with your 'personal issues.'

J M H O

Love and hugs,

PS I have also seen many Dr's, Lawyers, Police Officers, Judges, and even a Governor or wo in meetings over the years. Just raises my respect for those individuals in that they have found ways to 'better' themselves also.
Great answer
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I have tremendous respect for anyone willing to admit they have a problem and actively seek help. In my mind that's a sign of true strength, not weakness.

I'm reminded of something I read the other day in an article by a woman named Andree Seu. She said that her husband told her once "Don't worry about what other people think of you. They don't even think about you."
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I've been able to attend meetings with old neighbors, their adult children, former classmates, former students, clleagues (i taught special ed in the public school system), parents of students, and other people i know as I've lived here for most my life.

I love AA.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Personally, if I ran into a professional I know in "the real world" at a meeting (who's obviously there for the same reason I am), I would be more inclined to trust and rely on that person outside of the meeting than I would anyone else. It's been my experience so far that the majority of people I meet at AA who have been sober for a while really have their s*** together, and that's the kind of doctor/nurse/lawyer/etc. I'd want.

--Fenris.