Notices

I need to quit now!

Old 07-31-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to quit now!

I'm a 31-year-old male who has come to the realization that he has a problem: a disease called alcoholism. At first, alcohol was fun and games. I have been shy all my life and with alcohol, I found myself to be a fun and confident person. Starting in 2009, however, alcohol started becoming an issue. I cannot recall the number of times I got complete wasted and acted like an idiot.

Fast forward to last Friday. I went out to a rooftop bar after work and had a few drinks. I remember taking a shot with some random girls and that is the last thing I remember. I woke up the next morning in my house (not sure how I got there) covered in vomit. Yes, perhaps the lowest point in my life.

This was a wakeup call for me (I HOPE!) and I’ve made the decision to completely quit alcohol. I’ve tried the “drink in moderation” or “only drink beer,” etc. routines, but none have worked. After I’ve had two drinks, I become a different person – a person I abhor when I’m sober.

I’m opening myself on this forum because you people seem like nice folks. I hope that I can remain strong and beat this addiction.

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome lawyer101
You'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 07-31-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Originally Posted by Layer101
This was a wakeup call for me (I HOPE!) and I’ve made the decision to completely quit alcohol.
No need to hope it's your wake-up call... declare that it is and own that Congrats on your big decision to make the commitment to quit! That's huge.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Lawyer101. I am also very shy and that is why I began drinking. I have found that shyness is very common in alcoholics, and many of us mention shyness as the reason of drinking.

I think we have to learn communication abilities, so we dont have to drink alcohol to socialize. A therapist may be very useful for this. AA also works quite well for this.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease: if you continue drinking, it ALWAYS gets worse, never better. The good news are that it can be stopped by not drinking. Sobriety is actually wonderful.

Sorry, english is not my first language. BTW, I am also a lawyer.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

to SR.

Thank goodness you are getting sober...some people do not make it. One day at a time we recover together...SR has been a great resource for me as well as AA. Glad you are here.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, I also became a completely different person and someone that I hated. And, blackouts are so very scary.

I'm glad that you recognize that you need to stop drinking and are motivated. Do you have a plan? I hope that you continue to read and post here at SR.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are nice folks, just like you, and you can beat your addiction, just like us. Well Come.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words, all! I really like the point that I should not "hope" that I will get sober, but make and own the decision of getting sober! Thanks again!

BTW, Mariano, your english is just fine! I've noticed that our profession in general has problems with alcohol. Even in my case, I did not even touch alcohol until I became an attorney :-(
Old 07-31-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Anna;3054420]
Do you have a plan? QUOTE]

No plans yet. Just hoping to take it one day at a time and remain positive. I drink after work on weekdays (I walk to work and on my way home, there are 10-20 bars conveniently located to meet to needs of an alcoholic like me). So, I know that this week is going to be quite challenging. I'm hoping though that if I can tough it out for two weeks, it'll get a bit easier.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Lawyer - Welcome!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

Welcome to SR

Is there another route you could take home instead?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try a different route home even if it longer.

1 day at a time is how it works
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jen7916 View Post
Welcome to SR

Is there another route you could take home instead?
Unfortunately, no. I live in a big city and there are bars/clubs all over the damn place!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawyer101 View Post
! I've noticed that our profession in general has problems with alcohol. Even in my case, I did not even touch alcohol until I became an attorney :-(
Yeah, i am one of you, too! At one of my meetings, we joke that you can't swing a 9 iron in the room without hitting an attorney. Yes, we have substance abuse issues. Glad you are are seeking help now at 31 rather than waiting 10 more years as i did.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hiya Lawyer, thanks for joining us in the chat. I was serious about seeing a Doctor, and be totally honest. Of course you'll feel ashamed and embarrassed, but your life depends on it. From what you told us so far, you have a lot going for you and none of that will change if you can recognize the disease and then treat it. That's how you need to think of it, as a disease and not something to be ashamed of. So, no DUI's a practicing attorney, sounds pretty good to me!

If you passed the BAR once, you can do it again!

Good luck
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

How about taking a bus, cab, or train? Or riding your bike if you have one? Making it inconvenient to 'just stop in for one' may be a deterrent for you until you're stronger?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawyer101 View Post

No plans yet. Just hoping to take it one day at a time and remain positive. I drink after work on weekdays (I walk to work and on my way home, there are 10-20 bars conveniently located to meet to needs of an alcoholic like me). So, I know that this week is going to be quite challenging. I'm hoping though that if I can tough it out for two weeks, it'll get a bit easier.
What about seeing a therapist or psychiatrist? It is highly recommended also to visit a doctor, since detox may be dangerous.

Quitting alcohol may be hard, so it is recommended to get all the help available.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettingStronger2 View Post
Yeah, i am one of you, too! At one of my meetings, we joke that you can't swing a 9 iron in the room without hitting an attorney. Yes, we have substance abuse issues. Glad you are are seeking help now at 31 rather than waiting 10 more years as i did.
Nice to meet other attorneys on this forum!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jen7916 View Post
How about taking a bus, cab, or train? Or riding your bike if you have one? Making it inconvenient to 'just stop in for one' may be a deterrent for you until you're stronger?

I need to do something, but bus, cab, train won't work as I live only two blocks from my work. Perhaps I should just move out of the city -- it sounded like a great idea to live in the middle of everything before I discovered my disease. But now it ain't so much fun. I know that I can control myself very well when I have to drive (don't wanna get a DUI). So, if I know that I have to drive home, that could help me break my habit.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You took the first step admitting you are an alcoholic. That is a great start. Welcome to SR. Lots of support here.