My lawn is in recovery LOL

Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My lawn is in recovery LOL

A few weeks ago we cut down a 40 foot tree in our yard. It was starting to damage our foundation so it had to go. After it was gone, there was a huge hole full of debris from stump grinding. It would have cost hundreds to have the debris removed so we decided to get rid of it ourselves. At first, we asked family to help us out. Then, we got professional advice. We were told that the remaining decomposing roots/grindings would leave acid, suck out nutirents, and could take years to fully settle while nasty stuff could pop up like toadstools. We could fill in the hole with good soil and seed it, but it would be at least two years before the lawn could hope to recover.

My lawn's recovery reminded me of my own recovery. Anyway, to those who have moved on from addicted loved ones and wonder how long it will take to normalize: Be patient, it might take a few years.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh wow, we're doing the same thing. How funny. You are exactly right. What a wonderful association.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this as I prepare to pull a lot of weeds in the uncontrolled mess of my lawn this weekend.

I have had some other bigger things to clean up this last year before this, but I have struggled because this is a daily reminder of what i have not done.

It is a process though and when I remember that I am much easier on myself.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJG123 View Post
My lawn's recovery reminded me of my own recovery. Anyway, to those who have moved on from addicted loved ones and wonder how long it will take to normalize: Be patient, it might take a few years.
I love this. It does take time. You (and your lawn) will be ok.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I like your comparison, especially since patience is not my best virtue

And the lawn proffessionals are right. I know this because I currently have an area of approx 8ft x 10 ft front lawn that used to have a tree, but now has spongy mossy clumps where NOTHING ( except of course record sized mushrooms) will grow. I finally put up a birdhouse with a mulched mound of dirt.