Revia for alcohol avoidance?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Revia for alcohol avoidance?

Have suspected for 2 days that my sister was drinking again. Called tonight, she was hammered. I am sad and angry.
Does revia work for anyone-- does anyone have any experience?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've heard some anecdotal evidence that it helps control the urge to drink. I suppose it might be useful for some people in very early sobriety, when the urges are strongest.

I dunno, I basically lost all desire to drink immediately after I decided I was "done"--maybe it was just where my head was at, or the act of surrender brought about some form of spiritual experience.

I can't speak for what happens with other people--I think a lot has to do with how badly they want to get sober in the very beginning. For someone who really wants to be sober but has overwhelming urges to drink, if it helps, it helps. It's not a long-term solution to recovery, though.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Suzie, I'm new to this site and have been doing a lot of research for herbal remedies for alcoholism. I would like to know more about revia. I have heard that daidzin, a Chinese herb really helps. Sorry to hear about your sister...I have the same problem, so any info you can give would really help. Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other thing--most medications have different effectiveness with different people--just ask anyone who's been through the drill trying to find the "right" antidepressant. A drug that works wonders for one person might send another into a suicidal tailspin.

So I wouldn't be surprised if some folks get a lot of help from something like Revia (naltrexone) and some get little or no help from it.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been sober six years and went to see my family doctor when I knew I'd reached the end of the road - it was offered as an option.

My opinion then was the same as my take now - I don't think that anyone who is contemplating quitting needs reinforcement that drinking will make them sick. Between the hangovers, the regrets, the drinking in secret, the resulting isolation and the fact that my physical health had suffered - I knew I was at the end of the road.

What I said to the doctor then was what I'd say now - I know that the drinking is hurting me already - I don't need to take something that makes me sick when I drink. I'm here because I'm already sick and every time I drink I get sicker. To get well I have to learn how to stop drinking.

I went to an AA meeting (not my first) that evening and the recommended I did 90 in 90. I went every day for the next 90 days, got a sponsor and learned how to stop drinking. I've had every curveball possible thrown at me since then (job loss, financial difficulty, caring for a terminally ill parent, grief, you name it). I kept going to AA and I've successfully (so far) managed to keep not drinking.

Until your sister - or anyone - is really ready to stop drinking, there's not much you can do. When she's ready she'll do anything she needs to do, or is told to do, to get sober.

The challenge for you, for anyone who loves an alcoholic or addict, is accepting that fact. I don't know your story but have you considered al-anon?

Take what you like and leave the rest,

SL.