Notices

10 pounds in 13 days

Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 pounds in 13 days

I stepped on the scale this morning. 10 pounds in 13 days. Is that possible? I mean I may be eating a little bit more but there is no junk food in my house. WOW. I am beginning to look like I am 4 months pregnant. Not stressing. During my drunk binge, I payed for a year at a gym. Haven't been yet but I guess I better get my money's worth.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe it's water weight? 13lbs in 10 days seems a bit extreme. I think your scale just might be broke...that means you would have to eat upwards of 3,000 calories a day and not be active at all!!!
When I drank and ate like crap and didn't move from the couch I didn't even gain that much - maybe a pound or two a week and it took me about 6 months to gain 30+ pounds.
Try stepping on a different scale...that seems a bit kookoo. Lol.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have to be right. That is extreme. Maybe it is water weight.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Probably the body's way of saying you f***** with me I'll F with you. Hopefully things will balance out. I've lost 25 lbs since going sober but then I'm working on it. Funny how those gym memberships don't work unless we work them.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You might also consider the fact that booze really dehydrates you, so there may have been a false reading on the scale if you were weighing yourself after a night of drinking. Just be conscious of it and get to the gym! one half hour on the treadmill burns anywhere from 300-500 calories, depending on how hard you go. Don't worry about it to much, your body is probably thanking you for giving it valuable calories rather than empty ones.... it'll balance out!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

your weight can change from water intake or food or when the last time you went to the bathroom. If you ate a lot of carbs will retain a few pounds on the scale. If you look the same in the mirror then you should be okay. Try to decease your calorie intake the next few weeks and you should be fine.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been eating a lot of carbs
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A lot of people start eating more candy and sweets when they first get sober. Those calories can really add up.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just said I don't have junk food around. I have been eating cereal a lot. Last night I bought a snickers ice cream bar and I am sitting here eating it. And I am wondering how I gained that much weight? LOL. As long as I can still fit in my jeans I am ok. I lost 30 pounds from my job 5 years ago and I have kept it off. Until now that is. Looks like I need to put away the snickers and get on the treadmill. At least I love the treadmill
Old 07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Check out Somersizing, a food combining diet by Suzanne Somers. I am back on it. You get to eat awesome food and it's simple to follow! Amazon.com sells her Somersize books used and cheap. Her version of onion rings is awesome
Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Milk + cereal = lots of sugar and carbs. Eat raw fruits and veggies.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think your scale is messed up too.

But if a few pounds is the side-effect of quitting drinking, then embrace the pounds.

If you can deal with staying sober AND losing weight then that's great too!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow,
I'm in the camp that says the scales tilted !!

Good news is; .......you can't keep that up very long.

i was so, so bloated from drinking, that my weight stayed the same a little while, while i was cramming as much unhealthy stuff down as I wanted.

After reading a little on it, eating more watery foods like (any vegetable or fruit) seemed to help , along with some easy workouts.

focusing on continued sobriety was the most important thing.

i have this bad habit of just "throwing in the towel" on the whole fitness thing , when I'm not sober.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree w/ you Topspin...when I drink I figure "well, since I am consuming all these crap calories that are satiating me I might as well order that pizza and skip on my exercise time". Alcohol doesn't just try to play with your mind and your addiction but it also sabotages your body...your well being...your skin, your hair, eyesight, body weight...the whole she-bang...
Bad booze...very very naughty.

I just want to point something out the first time I tried to really cut down on my drinking about 8 months ago. At the time I was always telling myself that if booze didn't have any calories I don't think I would ever quit...I realize now that alcohol messes with your mind far worse then you would think. I suffer from depression and anxiety and since I have drastically cut back on my drinking my anxiety has been kept in check and I actually look forward to things.
There are times where I feel a little depressed when I can't have a drink or two after work but that eventually passes and I need to ignore that pestering thought.
But yea, just my 2 cents on that.