Notices

Help with sleep issues?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with sleep issues?

Hi all, i am a new poster here. I am going on day 12 now of being completely sober/drug free. My motivation is high and I am starting to feel more confident in myself. BUT i am still having some sleep issues. I have been working up to officially quitting for a few months now and did a few 'trial runs' before i put it down for good. During the past few months my insomnia has come back (had issues off and on my whole life with it, as i have anxiety issues, which of course is one reason why i turned to drugs/alcohol) I either lay there for hours before i finally fall asleep. Or what i feel is almost worse is i am having bad dreams. Not nightmares of zombies or monsters, lol... bad dreams of my husband cheating on me or leaving me. Or dreams of bad things happening to my family members, etc...I know my daytime anxiety is coming out in my dreams. I love my hubby and do not think he is or will cheat/leave me. I think my low self esteem over using drugs and not being the wife/mother i should be is playing a part. But now i am starting to feel better about my decision and i am actually pretty proud of myself at this point in the journey...so why am i still having these dreams? I have researched a ton of sites about dreams, sleep issues. I have tried many things to help me fall asleep but the hangover the next day from meds is as bad as not sleeping so i prefer not to take anything. I want to be normal. i dont want to have to reach for a pill (even prescribed) to get me thru this. I know this is part of the process but can anyone give me any advice on how to get thru this time too? Thanks ahead of time. I love this site and the support everyone gives each other =)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Skip the pills and take 15-25 grams of melatonin. CVS has a liquid form with a little measuring cup. Knocks you out as good as NyQuil! It is 100% safe and non-habit forming.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you. I've been haunted by endless sleepless nights orcountless nights where my demons came out to play in my dreams. Drink allowed me to pass out without the risk of these sleepless nights or paranoid dreams but in the end drinking took my days away from me too. I'm still dtruggling at night but its getting better and I've come to believe a sleepness night or bad dream sober is better than an empty life drunk. And it is getting better and I have faith it will keep getting better as long as I keep getting better. My best to you.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They sell this new tea- its called Marley's Mellow Mood. They have all different flavors...It has melatonin, chamomile and several other natural sleep aids in it. It is really good and it works well. I have the same problem as you, I either do not sleep or have horrible nightmares. This tea really does help, and it has been able to relax me enough so that I don't have the nightmares because my anxiety disappears before I fall asleep
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all =)
I know 'this too shall pass'. But the dreams really shake me up. I dont like waking up hating my hubby for the first few hours i'm awake till i rationalize the feelings and they go away.
I have tried melatonin in the past, but i am a vivid dreamer anyway and it did cause nightmares. Ive heard it does this to some people. But at this point what do i have to lose? =\ Since i'm in a different place now maybe it will help. I'm going to try it again. I have also heard of valerian root (sp?) But that will be a trip to the nearest big city to me as no GNC near me. I'll let you know, lol =)