Notices

Scared

Old 07-24-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Hi I'm helping my brother detox from alcohol he's in his early 50's. he was prescribed chlordiazepoxide 2 25 mg tablets 3 times a day from his doctor. We started his journey on Tuesday and he took the prescribed dosage until Friday. Yesterday I cut it down to only 1 25 mg 2 times and today I was going to give him one if he asked for it so far he hasn't.

What I'm scared about is that he's not the same, he moves at a snails pace, he's clumsy and seems like he might have brain damage. Could it be that the medicine still hasn't worn off? He's scared, I'm scared but he refuses to go to the ER or a doctor. I'm hoping it's just the half life of the medicine, if anyone can share their experience with Chlordiazepoxide it would be grately appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Did you talk to the Doc or someone on call?

Maybe if you let your brother know that you are in over your head, he might agree to go. I would call an ambulance and see if you can get him on the truck.

I am sorry you are going through this.

Much love.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cervas

I'm unsure as to why you changed the dosage - was that on your own volition?
We can't give you medical advice here, I'm afraid.

I hope you can convince your brother to see a Dr - I think thats the best thing to do, Better to be safe.

D
Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
Did you talk to the Doc or someone on call?
haven't tried that yet. There is a number on his prescription will try and see if someone answers, thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcohol detox can be deadly. The best thing to do would be to call 911.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went through that, hang in there. It is scary but I kept reading and thinking positively and got through it. The worst thing was wanting a drink to stop the fuzziness and shakes and slow movement but that drug and a drink could kill you.

I would recommend AA meetings went to one every day when I was doing that and just listened and talked when I was asked to until I felt it was a place I could vent or participate. It really helped me and still is today, 116 days sober.

God Bless and keep you both, you are in my prayers.

Do not be afraid to go to a doc but make sure they understand alcoholism and that drug, most do but not all. My addiction Dr. explains it well and I sure you have many there in California.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Cervas

I'm unsure as to why you changed the dosage - was that on your own volition?
We can't give you medical advice here, I'm afraid.

I hope you can convince your brother to see a Dr - I think thats the best thing to do, Better to be safe.

D
According the prescription he's suppose to gradually reduce his dosage. Which is why I started to reduce it on Friday which was the 4th day. I was hoping he would start feeling better and a little back to normal once we started reducing the dosage. As of today he seems the same as when he's on the meds which is why I'm scared. I'm hoping it's the half life of the medicine and once it all gets out of his system he'll be better.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for clearing that up Cervas
Like I say, none of us are Drs - I hope all goes well - if in any doubt seek professional help

D
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please keep his fluid level up....water water and more water.

all my best to both of you..
Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone's responses and input it is much appreciated. I called his doctor but of course no one answered (It's Sunday I guess). He's been drinking a lot of water and I've also been giving him pediayte, gatorade, OJ and a milkshake with fruits and a vitamin powder every morning. The tough part is to get him to eat. I've also been giving him a multivitamin every morning and a magnesium and B1 supplement as well. What scares me is his motor functions as he moves like a snail, I'm hoping it's the meds and I will call his doctor tomorrow for further instructions.

I'm also an alcoholic myself, I'm younger than he is (33) but I did go to rehab and I'm not as stubborn as he is lol. My brother was homeless for the past 3 years due to his alcoholism, he's been to rehab and was sober for about 10 years before his latest relapse. He finally agreed to quit again but didn't want to get treatment and wanted to detox himself with my help. I agreed as long as we went to a doctor first, the doctor gave him the benzo's and this is where we are at now. I've never seen him this bad though and the chlordiazepoxide he was prescribed is a high dosage so I'm just hoping that's all it is. That's why today which is his 6th day sober I figured he would start coming around since he hasn't been taking as large of a doze but since he was still basically the same he started to panic which made me worried. thanks again to everyone for your help
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I hope that tomorrow you can get some answers for your brother. Hopefully he'll start to improve soon. I noticed I had a bit of clumsiness several days into detox too - it was minor and only lasted a few days, but it was a weird feeling. From what I've read, we can continue to see improvement for up to a year or even more.

You're doing all the right things and your brother is so fortunate to have you there. Keep us updated......:ghug3
Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can get answers to your questions tomorrow when you talk to his dr.