Notices

Managing SR

Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Managing SR

My surfing and check-ins have been sporadic and compulsive. I am wondering how others manage their time here.

I'm beginning to see a pattern of checking certain people's and progress, posting in just a couple threads and am considering to join a chat room one day a week at a certain time (if that's even an option). Also am wondering if starting a buddy group with those who have had the same amount of days sober is too exclusive or if people have tried that, was it fun and successful?

Thanks!

Symmetry
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like to check in and read and post between my structured activities--exercise, meditation, chores and errands, etc. I tend to stick with what I know like "Newcomers" and Alcoholism" not so much the other threads unless a title hooks me. I know that there are threads around the month and year of sobriety--such as July, 2011. I haven't been on a chat line yet because of my basic insecurity. I do find reading and posting on SR really helpful as it allows me to organize my thoughts and feel supported and supportive.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SR's a big site, I too stick to just a few sections but even then its hard to keep up, this is literaly the most active forum ive been part of.

Most threads i post to or create are on the 2nd page by the time i get back.

2 or 3 times a day i check in, its a great place to know how othets are doing, although Ive not 'bonded' with anyone, but i do love the forum...

I guess my reasons for not chatting are the same as MyCoolFitz... but maybe i should give it a try.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've joined other forums, one for dog lovers and oh several others but lost interest very quickly. Cyberspace is pretty scary to me and sharing personal stuff feels like an avoidable danger. But this particular site is awesome and was just wondering how others have evolved in maintaining their contact.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

I am new here, but familiar with these types of sites. I check in whenever I check in. Some days more than others. I try to check out posts by people who have offered support on my threads (like you). I like to check out the posts in "Newcomers" because that's what I am & if you're new to recovery, you probably need the most support.
I am not worried about sharing details about my addiction or certain circumstances. I am not interested in telling anyone here where I live or anything, but sharing my feelings & personal struggles, well, I see no harm in that. I get more out of it the more open & honest I am.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

IM only on my first week of recovery so Ive been on here almost nonstop while detoxing....Everytime Ive gotten an urge to drink Ive read others posts until it passed or I could rationalize with myself more...I too wonder how once I have to get life back to norm I am going to time it out on here...I can already tell its certainly going to be a huge helping tool in helping me maintain my sobriety as well as it has been for helping me get through this past (almost)week.I havent explored the site yet enough to figure out other options and where Im a good fit...I just tend to keep reading the "new posts" that are up....I have tried to add people whose comments have been helpful and I feel I can relate to more to my "friend list".It is GREAT to be able to hop on with any questions or concerns and within seconds of posting have people who know EXACTLY what you are feeling respond...I feel I cant get an honest response in my real life because my drinking too deeply involves the people around me....and they have never had addictions (beyond smoking).And it is nice to be completely honest without worrying about hurting my loved ones feelings because Im really in an unstable mood right now...I vent here so I dont have to put it all on them
Old 07-24-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On days when I'm home, I check in throughout the day. If I'm out, I try to check in at least once in the morning and in the evening. Some days, I have time to post a lot and other days hardly at all. Don't know if that helped. lol Hope you found the July 2011 thread.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Symmetry. If you haven't seen it, here is the July, 2011 thread for those who quit this month. Best wishes.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...11-pt-2-a.html
Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The monthly "class" thread helped me a lot last year. It's slowed way down, but our Class of April 2010" was really dynamic the first year !!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. I used SR a whole lot early on... Well I still kinda do..

I saw on another thread you are about 5 days... Those are tough, hang out here as much as you need to.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think it depends on your circumstances how often you use SR....

For me...now that I no longer work...family are grown and not with me....
I check in several times a day....hopeing to find members who I can assist.

I was already sucessffully 3 years into my AA recovery before I came on line in 92 and recovery sites are a vital supplement to my local AA committments.
SR has been my cyber home group for 9 years....it's been such a pleasure to watch us grow and improve...

glad to see everyone here.....thanks for joining with us.
Forward we go...side by side

:
Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love SR!

I was about 3 years sober when I came here in 2003 and I have never left. I always find something inspiring to read and I have continued to have a special affection for the newbies.