Really confused about Suboxone????

Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really confused about Suboxone????

My bf just got out of detox for lortabs yesterday. He had been taking them almost daily for a couple months but prior to that, his use was sporadic. After detox he was sent on his merry way with a 2 month prescription for 16 mil of Suboxone. He will be starting intensive outpatient in a couple days but I am disturbed by the Suboxone after learning how addictive this can be. Also, being around him after he took it made me really question how this is helping him. He basically looks/acts like he's feeling REALLY good.I'd never even seen him that out of it, even throughout his abuse of lortabs. Also, how is he suppose to learn coping skills and learn how to take life on sober if he's numbed by yet another substance. He's suppose to go through all his treatment while he's out of touch with his real feelings? I just don't see this as recovery. Let me know if I'm totally off here. Is he just on entirely too much, and if this is the case what kind of detox facility doesn't regulate that before discharging him. I'm feeling pretty angry about all of this, especially because he's trying to take steps to get better and basically no one can stand to be around him right now because it is so sad to see him like this. Does anyone have positive stories about this drug and what it's suppose to do, other than mask a problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Suboxone Info

Here is what I know about Suboxone. It is used to treat individuals who are addicted to opioids such as morphine, codeine, heroin, etc.

It contains a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone. The buprenorphine is an opioid medication but is much easier to stop taking than other opioids and doesn't give the individual such an intense "high" as other opioids do.

Nalaxone BLOCKS the effects of other opioids (like morphine, codeine, and many other narcotics), so if you bf is taking the Suboxone as prescribed and also takes another opioid (like his Lorotab), the Nalaxone will block the effect of other opioid. So he's getting a small dose of an opioid but if he tries to take meds he shouldn't be taking, it will block their effects.

Suboxone dependence can occur if the individual takes it for too long or does not gradually decrease the amount he or she is taking. Detoxing from opioids without the use of Suboxone is both physically and mentally painful for the individual and is a risky way to rid themselves from dependence of the drug. If they cant handle the pain of rapid detox, they immediately turn to the drug they have been abusing. If they take the Suboxone as prescribed by a doctor, they should not become dependent on the Suboxone and will eventually recover completely.

Check out this website - it should help you understand why and how Suboxone is used to treat opioid addiction: www(dot)drugs(dot)com/suboxone(dot)html

Hope it helps!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My cousin was given this. At the end of 2 months, her doctor started her on a slow 'cutback' and 'weaning' process, and by 4 1/2 months she was off of it, going to meetings, using her tools that she had learned and the new ones she was learning.

She is not coming up on 6 years clean and sober.

I have heard from others, like my cousin, that it has worked for them, WHEN THEY WERE SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR RECOVERY.

So only time will tell.

Now, how are you doing about taking the 'focus' off of him and putting it on yourself, and work your own program? Working your program the way you would hope he works his?

Remember, you are not alone, we are with you in spirit.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Asking the questions and understanding suboxone is important. But at some point we just let it go and trust the process. We take care of ourselves and allow the recovering addict do the same.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Suboxone is an EXTREMELY controversial form of therapy, so you're not going to get a straight answer on this. People have very strong opinions and experiences on both sides, and most likely no one will ever budge.

The thing is, it's presently one of HIS recovery tools, so it's his decision to make. And because a doctor is giving it to him, your negative opinion regarding the drug doesn't carry weight in his mind. 16mg is a lot, but it also depends how often they want him to take it.

In the end, the Suboxone is not going to be what makes or breaks his recovery.

In the mean time, establish boundaries and keep your eyes wide open. Work on yourself. Attend face to face meetings. And always remember that you have a choice in the relationship. Just because he's in recovery doesn't mean you're going to like the relationship. Addict behavior lasts. This disease is bigger than just a pill. It's a thinking disease, and it takes a very long time for addict thinking to change. And then, only with a lot of work.

So don't worry about the Suboxone. Work on getting strong and figuring out what you want in a relationship. And then make sure you don't settle for anything less.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I can tell you is the facility I work at uses suboxone. However we never send anyone home on it and never use it for more than 5 days. The other place I work uses it for up to 10-12 days and again never sends anyone home on it. It was designed to be used short term to help the person detoxing to get past the worst of the physical symptoms. If suboxone is taken too close to the last use of opiates it can throw that person into heavy detox and make them very sick. It is very helpful if used properly. It will not mask all withdrawal symptoms the way we use it, but it does get the person thru the worst of it. FYI the most we give in a day is 8mg although it is ok up to 16mg. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Before my son went to rehab, he had visited a doctor that put him on suboxone. He was not using it correctly because he went on to using heroin after being already addicted to Vicodin before finally being court ordered to a 30 day rehab.

In rehab he was put back on suboxone and was on it a week (I believe) with each day the dose being less and less until he was not on suboxone at all. He went through heavy withdrawals as the dose decreased and for about a week after he was drug free.

By the time my son left rehab he was feeling well again and he's now been home over two weeks and doing well.

His girl friend who is addicted to Vicodin (like he was) is now using suboxone herself similar to my son when he was going to see his doctor. Maybe she'll use it as it is designed to be used, but I just know my son didn't have the will power to do it that way--he needed rehab.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you found any local Naranon or Alanon meetings for yourself yet, dear?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the replies and support. Taking care of myself is a lot more difficult than I imagined since he has been out of detox. I feel so hopeless and I'm filled with anxiety, and honestly depressed. It almost feels impossible to "let it go" and allow him to work it out for himself. This is when I remind myself, that nothing I do will change his recovery! right? If anything will, it's helping myself.

Freedom, I've found an Nar-anon meeting that is an hour away for tomorrow. I'm surprised there are not more in my area. There are a ton of Al-anon right around me. Would that be just as effective considering the problems in my family and bf are not alcohol related?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I told him I would support him 100% through treatment. But I can not take being around him in the state that he was yesterday. My daughter asks questions. He was up all night the past two nights, doing who knows what. He attempts to be so overly affectionate with me (compared to his usual self), it makes me feel sick inside because I know it's not him. He said it hurts him because he's doing everything he's suppose to be doing, and he feels like he's being rejected somehow. I haven't outright said anything to make him feel this way. He just feels it...& it breaks my heart. I feel like it would devastate him right now if I said I couldn't be around him through this. But it's throwing me so off balance. Are these the kind of boundaries we're talking about? How can I set a boundary like this when he's not really doing anything wrong?

Part of me feels like a horrible selfish person for not just accepting where he is at, but I'll admit there is a little part of me that is even angry with him, feeling like he may be just enjoying his high while I'm miserably trying to cope with each day. Sorry for the ramble, but my feelings are pretty intense right now.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twirling View Post
I feel like it would devastate him right now if I said I couldn't be around him through this.
Personally, I'm glad my son's rehab handled his month in rehab the way they did so that when he left he was totally off of all drugs. When he came home he is as I remembered him before using drugs. However, had I had to watch him go through withdrawals, that would have been a different story. Just hearing him talk about it was bad enough. I am thinking that part of what you are seeing with your boyfriend will be the withdrawal process, and from what you have indicated that will be a long, drawn out affair--months long, perhaps years long. In my son's case, his girl friend was glad our son came home to us. She doesn't have to deal with his recovery now. Hopefully, we will be one of the lucky ones and our son will do well and be back on his feet and on his own soon again.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I attend Al Anon for my f2f since I can find one multiple days of the week. The only Nar Anon near me is during the morning and I work. The program is the same. Check a few out. Sometimes you click with one group more than another.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twirling View Post
Part of me feels like a horrible selfish person for not just accepting where he is at, but I'll admit there is a little part of me that is even angry with him, feeling like he may be just enjoying his high while I'm miserably trying to cope with each day. Sorry for the ramble, but my feelings are pretty intense right now.
hey ... ramble away, you are among friends. We have all had intense feelings about the addicts we love. You are NOT a horrible selfish person all the feelings and emotions you are experiencing are perfectly normal Nar Anon or Al Anon groups will help you to process them and eventually move away from them and on towards balance and peace. That being said, I have learned that no matter how hard we try there are times when only so much peace can be achieved. Early recovery .. looming court dates ... relapse .... to name a few. There is much wisdom and compassion here. I am so grateful to have found this site, it has made a tremendous difference in my life. I'm not sure if I would have sought out my Nar Anon group if not for the encouragement from the people here. I did and have found that it has helped more than I could have imagined.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had the EXACT concerns that you do. I knew his personality so well and I had this gut feeling no real recovery was going to happen from it. I do not dismiss suboxone at all, but I am completly sickened by some doctors who administer it wrong. His doctor told him right in front of me that he wanted him to be on it as long as he wants, even his whole life if desired. All he had to do was see him once a month and he'll get his prescription. With no insurance and 380 for a 20 minute appointment plus almost 600 to fill the script each month, it was rediculous. This doctor is horrible and addicts like him (wonder why, right?) This was after a week of him taking it. Long story short, it has been over a year and he's so messed up from taking them and has relapsed horribly back to pain meds. He seems high and out of reality when on suboxone (a different type of high, as if not in touch with reality and almost ADD like), and said he hates being addicted yet again to another pill. I have known people that have used suboxone under much better care and they have been clean for years now. Not one used it for more than 2 months with proper tapering. It's a great tool, and highly addictive if used wrong. Once word got out he was on them, it wasn't any coincidence that his old drug dealers and addicts were calling him up to buy them off him. Needless to say, it has to be used correctly.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Started Suboxone today

I started taking suboxone today 8mg strips twice a day.. But the first does i took at the doctors office was a pill of suboxone and let me tell you as soon as i left I felt great the about 45 min I was so messed up picked on the side of the road, Sleepy, Nodding off, I think they put me on to high of a dose? Dy moreid anyone else have these problems? One good thing is that I don't have those stupid WithDrawls any more......
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

devil, talk to your doctor before you take the next dose. Please don't try to figure it out on your own. Please keep doing the next right thing and congrats on taking the first steps
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My husband has been on suboxone for the past 9 months (off and on and off and on). He is currently taking it correctly. My opinion is this: Suboxone is no different than Methadone and not much different than opiates. Its addictive and doesnt "cure" anything. In my mind it is a time out. Putting off the inevitable. I cant tell you how often it works, but I can tell you in my small town I know many people that have had an issue with opiates. The only people I know that has gotten clean and stayed that way simply quit all drugs. Including suboxone. Now, I will say this. My AH was pretty bad. Taking from our family, shooting up, and basically on the road to death or jail and certinally divorce. Suboxone defiently stopped that for the time being. He takes his meds and doesnt over do it. Suboxone supposidly stops the effects of other opiates so even if he slipped he wouldnt feel a things and could possibly make him very sick. So that is good for my AH. The suboxone is good for me cause as long as he is taking it I dont have to worry about the lies, stealing, money missing and finding him dead. Is it a cure? NO WAY!!! It is a bandage, a way to put off the inevitable. But if it gives my home a break and allows a little peace to exsist I am ok with it for the time being. The key in my home is making sure he takes it. He has tried to ween himself off a few times and went right back to opiates. This last time he begged me to be "in charge" of his suboxone. Actually put it in his mouth each day. Now I know what yall are thinking... It is his problem and his road to sobroity and I shouldnt be doing that. But, I choose to do it. He understands that the next time he uses rehab and / or divorce is the next step. So, I give him his suboxone every day, for now. I have no idea what the next step will be but for now it is calm in my home and that gives me the room to focus on me and the kids. Sorry... I am rambling. Hope this helps. You are right to be concerned. What a waste to go to rehab and come out on a new drug. LOVE THE SYSTEM!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My daughter is on subs and I'm fine with it. I lean towards science on stuff like this: dependence is acceptable if it contributes to an individuals overall well being. It's not my disease to own so I leave it between her and her doctors.