Notices

Saturday is in the books

Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Edwardm

Saturday is in the books

First, thanks for all the support. There is no way I would have gone this far without everyone here. This time last Saturday I would be half way through a fifth of whiskey by now (on top of several glasses of wine). I love cooking and always had the habit of having a glass of wine while I'm preparing something. I new today would be a challenge. Instead of wine, I went to the store and bought some juice and club soda. I had this instead of wine and it helped fill that void.

I think tomorrow will be easier. I'm actually tired tonight naturally, instead of being tired and basically passing out from the alcohol. The cravings are still very strong and my mind is constantly trying to rationalize just one drink.

Thanks agian, please keep up the support. I'm trying to do the same with others who are following right behind me.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a Saturday worth having. Its a great feeling isn't it to make the day sober. I'm reading a book instead of being half passed out. And I can focus on what I'm reading and I'll remember it tomorrow. And remember, the mind is sometimes a terrible thing to listen to when its whispering those deadly little lies. Keep on keeping on. And thank you.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Edwardm

Mycoolfitz- Thank you. It is a very good feeling. I did something tonight that I haven't done in years- went to the store at 9:30. I could never do it before because I couldn't drive. The alcohol kept me a prisoner in my own home.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Edwardm View Post
I love cooking and always had the habit of having a glass of wine while I'm preparing something. I new today would be a challenge. Instead of wine, I went to the store and bought some juice and club soda. I had this instead of wine and it helped fill that void.
i'm a foodie too and i've been replacing wine at mealtimes with green tea (no milk) or the lighter china teas, to me at least they have that same slightly astringent feeling on the palate that wine had and they've really stepped up and helped me not feel 'deprived' if you know what i mean?

i'm getting through countless bottles of sparkling mineral water as well, sometimes with a squeeze of fresh lemon, out and about that's a lifesaver because it doesn't scream 'non-alcoholic drink' and open that discussion, people just think it's vodka or something.

debs
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ETA

I'm drinking so much sparkling water it's crazy. Trying different brands, cans vs glass vs plastic.

I'm trying to find low calorie/healthy drinks not so much as a replacement for alcohol - more to enjoy while I cook, bake etc... Last night I made a drink with fresh muddled mint, a teaspoon of maple syrup, ice and seltzer - it was pretty tasty.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job, Edward! I drink juice and club soda every evening. It seems to satisfy that needing to drink something while cooking ritual.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, Edward!

This was my second sober Saturday and I am going through flavored sparkling water like crazy! Since Saturday nights are hardest for me, I wanted to do something different, so I did juice (pomegranate) and sparkling water, too. It was a nice treat!

Like Fitz, I spent the evening reading, and it was so nice to have the clarity to do so.

And I am up at 5:30 this morning, hanging out with my cats and feeling refreshed! No more Sundays lost to hangovers.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Fantastic job. The road you are on goes to a good place
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Edwardm

Thanks everyone. Today will be the same, the kids are coming over and I'm going to cook something this evening. The mineral water and tea are both great idea's. The support here has been great. I've noticed that alot of people provide that positive feedback like, "doesn't it feel great", or "don't you feel good this morning". When people tell me this I go, "yeah, I do feel good". Working on one day at a time also helps. I'm only working on today and not thinking ahead. We have several weddings coming up in the next month and my mind is already wandering ahead. I'm trying to stay focused today. I'm trying to block out future senarios like weddings, holidays, BBQ's, etc. where I know there will be great temptation.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Every BBQ and wedding reception needs us sober people to attend. The gift of sobriety is for everyone!