Do any of your kids go to Alateen?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do any of your kids go to Alateen?

My son is 9 years old. He'd really like to go to Alateen.He wants to find other kids who understand him (his words)

Problem is there are no groups within 40 miles of us. There is a group in Ohio I could take him to but it would be an hour drive each way. I have seen some alateen groups only allow kids 12 and over to attend, I have emailed this group, but have not got a reply.Idealy I'd like the Alanon group I go to that's certified to hold Alateen meetings start doing so again, but I guess there is a lack of interest. I doubt there is lack of need, just people don't bring the kids.

My son has been getting better, since I have been getting better. But I just think he may benefit from the program.We read each day from ODAT in Alateen. Are there any other Alateen books you can recomend for him?

If anyone has kids in Alateen, has it helped them?

Thanks, Amanda
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amanda -- I haven't had much chance to check out Alateen, although I wish there were groups around here... There is one, and my son went four times and then decided it was basically a waste of his time.

I do know the kids need help, though. And it would be so great to have the support of a support group for them lik I have AlAnon for me. But for us, right now, we just have to slog through it as best we can with My Alanon experiences...
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amanda...

My son (age 12) has gone to about 8 meetings now.
He LOVES it. I've seen such a change in him. I think so much of it has to do with him realizing he isn't the only kid dealing with this problem at home.
In fact, he's attending a three-day conference this weekend. It's held at a university in our state. There are four states participating. He can hardly wait.
9 might be a little young...My son is the youngest in his group at age 12.

Alateen has been a true blessing for us.

If your son doesn't start now, or can't for whatever reason, definitely keep it in mind in the years to come...

Best of luck...