Notices

F it...Im going to AA tonight.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

F it...Im going to AA tonight.

I have posted on here a few times that I dont want to / wont do AA.

But Im going tonight.

What else can I do... Liver test next week in the hospital. This has to be sorted.

I really dont want to, but need to.

What should I expect? I'm not 1 for talking in groups...which is why I dont want to.
Id rather be able to talk 1 on 1, but if this is what I have to do...

I dont want to sit and tell a story to everyone (Im positive I will know some as it is a street up from me and I live in a small area...)

Jebus this is a big step for me...NEVER thought I would do it.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JIreland,
None of us said to ourselves, "Gee, I think I would just love to try out an AA meeting tonight." Most of us went reluctantly and fearfully. And when we got there, we found a room full of people who were us. They got us like no one else on earth did. I am glad you are reconsidering your previous stance. There is a sticky note on the top of one of the forums that talks about what it is like to attend an AA meeting.
Susan
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

If you asked me 5 weeks ago if i was in AA or did not drink I would have laughed in your face and took a shot .

Now sober for the 32 day, and attended 26 meetings, I could not have done it without going into AA.

Dont worry about speaking anything like that, you dont have to do anything you dont want. Just show up open-minded and listen. There are different meetings some are discussions some are leads it depends.

But just go in and raise your hand and introduce yourself when asked if there is any new attendies. The rest will come people like yourself will introduce themselves and the rest will fall into place.

Togather we all can enjoy this thing called soberity and life
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ahhh...I have been looking online and I am getting totally different phone numbers and addresses for my area (In northwen Ireland).

There are a few but when I go to the sites they are showing different addresses and phone numbers for the same groups.

Does anyone know if there is a freephone number for the UK for AA that can tell you where the closest group is? (No credit on my phone )

It seems everything is out of date, and I don't know (of) anyone that goes to AA...
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh yea one other thing to just think about ,

My sponsor told me just try this Dylan, 1st how many days did you drink in the week- I said all of them , so he told me thats how many meeting I should attend.

2nd he said try going to 90 meetings in 90 days , if I dont like it then AA would be more than happy to refund my misery
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I need this thing back called sobrity Inda
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

haha Dylan, I like that quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm looking everywhere online to find where I can go tonight in Derry (Northern Ireland) but I'm finding so many places (same name) with different addresses and phone numbers...all at the same time..so I cant try each place

Anyone have magical search powers that could find somewhere in the Derry city area?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there JIreland! Glad to see you back. For one thing you are never required to speak at an AA meeting. It's totally voluntary. Here is what you can expect: the first 15 or 20 minutes are devoted to quotes from the traditional readings. These are from the big book and talk about what AA is and is NOT. Then, there is a monthly theme for each group, and each group is different by the way, and it is usually as follows: 1) step reading and discussion about the 12 steps, 2) big book reading and this can be anything, 3) traditions: there are 12 of them, 4) this can be open and is often the open meeting of the month when non-alcoholics are invited to attend.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meetings3
There seems to be a lot for Derry!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oops sorry double post....
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No **, i guess just try calling and see where it leads ya

I guess meeting are different over there according to littlefishs post. So I wish you the best of luck finding one and getting to it.

I have to thank you , cause your post is reminding me how lucky i am to be here where AA all began. I have so many meetings and choice to get to anytime day/night within 5 miles of the house.

I wish for a day that everyone can have the same choice of options like I do .
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey littlefish!
Thank you for the reply

Does that happen every night? I really have no idea how it goes...I have only seen things on films for AA...people stand up, tell their story etc.....that's why I dont want to go.

Even sitting down...I don't want to tell people what has happened to me and why I started drinking..

littlefish is from sweden Inda, so it could be different here also

Inda...can you tell me about your first meeting please? I'll be honest...I'm a bit scared about what to expect and I dont want to stand up and tell my problems...I always keep things to myself.

I know I have to do this now and talk about things, but...I dont know.

I always thought AA was never for me.
Maybe its my last chance for help, which is why I'm going.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck to you **,

AA is not too dissimilar from SR in that it is full of people who will understand you, trying to get / stay sober.

I hope you can take some positive steps to address your boozing mate. It robs us of ourselves and cheapens our lives. But we do have a choice.

SM.X
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Good man! Absolutely 100% the right choice, you have just made one of the most important and informed decisions of your life. Monumentus! Keep us posted, let us know how you got on wont you?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I swore I didn't want to go. But I lasted 60 days on my own and relapsed. Millions of people become sober with AA. I'm going now. They have something I want. Its not so bad. Good fellowship. Go for it.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No **, i guess just try calling and see where it leads ya
I tried the phone number I got on a lot of sites, no answer, just ringing

Also went to the address listed, it is a place for alcohol/drug (Called zest) but there was no answer...maybe closer to the time (8.30 listed on different sites) but I thought they would have someone in there now :s

I dont even know if they are still running there...I hope so...
Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

By the way, its 7.55 here now
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous
15 Queen Street
Derry City
BT48 6AB
Londonderry
Telephone 028 90434848

99.99% doubt it, but anyone here know about the organisation?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JIreland View Post
Alcoholics Anonymous
15 Queen Street
Derry City
BT48 6AB
Londonderry
Telephone 028 90434848

99.99% doubt it, but anyone here know about the organisation?
I have been to a couple of meetings. I didnt have to say a word. People introduced themselves and then I sat quietly and listened. Just go. The fear of dying was far worse then being in a room full of strangers. Drive up there and sit. Good luck.