Notices

What to do...

Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do...

Ok, so I'm 3 days in and I need some advice on what to do when I encounter triggers. I know that keeping busy will help, but I can only clean so much. Tell me some of what y'all do. I'm scared that if I get bored I'll drink. I feel like I'm doing well and I don't want to screw up. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi desire2befree,

I'm a little over 30 days sober & have been a member here for just a few days. The staying busy thing helped me a lot, & I worked on changing my routine to avoid my triggers. Like you, if I got bored I would try to come up with excuses to drink. My primary reason to stay sober is my family, & my secondary is my health. Whenever I start to feel the urge, I'll see if I can play a card game with my Wife or do a little exercise.

It's surprised me, but the thought of resetting my sobriety clock also really motivates me. It's been a lot of work to get these days under my belt. While part of me wants to drink, another knows I would feel a world of guilt after (and probably during) my relapse.

You've done good work the last 3 days, be proud of that. I know you can keep it up & make it 4 days.

Brian
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

are you going to meetings?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think supports important....it's much easier to deal with the bad times if you have folks to turn to. Noone does this alone.

Whats your support system like?

D
Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Desire2BeFree!
I am on day 4 so I know how you're feeling.
There are many things that you could do; besides clean. :P
The first thing that I do if I feel the urge is come to this forum, it really does help. I read about everyone else's struggles and successes and it motivates me to do better. One day at a time. I know it's a simple saying, but it's so true. When you wake up and think, "day five!" it's a really great feeling. I also agree with everyone else in saying that a support system is a good thing...tell a friend or a family member, obviously someone you can trust...they will help motivate you along as well.
Other things you can do is read, exercise, try new recipes, volunteer, draw, research a topic that you've always been interested in, journal. I think journalling helps a lot and it's cathartic, much like posting on this forum is cathartic.
You can most definitely make it 2 day 4. If I can do it, I know you can! Hang in there, it is tough at times, but the reward of making it another day is so much more gratifying then having that drink and regretting it the next day.

Good luck and congrats on three days!

Big Hugs!
Bayliss+
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, to tell you the truth I don't think you can always avoid triggers, at least I can't. But I do think you can get better at recognizing them and dealing with them soberly and healthfully. Instead of thinking "Damn, there's another trigger, I'm screwed" you can think "There's another trigger, that's interesting" and move on. Rather than hide away in a hole, or clean your place 7/24, you can learn to recognize and let go. In my experience it gets easier and more natural over time, kind of like impulse control. I don't mean pretending they're not there or getting complacent just realize because there may be a trigger you don't need to shoot the gun.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always acknowledge it too..."Oh hello..still there I see. Nice try, but it's not happening today, thanks". Then take some deep breaths, shake it out (I literally stand there and 'shake it out', like we used to do as kids..looks weird - but oddly satisfying - if a bit disturbing for others, hehehe). Then I get busy. Doesn't matter what it is, but just something that requires some concentration. I've been kicking azz with online scrabble friends recently..my scores have gone up about 60% since I got sober - they all accused me of cheating!!