Went to my 1st Al-Anon meeting tonight!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my 1st Al-Anon meeting tonight!

I did it! I actually got out of my car and went inside, lol. I was a nervous wreck. Wasn't sure I was in the right place, but they were very reassuring. Interesting. Not sure it's the right group for me but I will definitely check out some more meetings. Been reading the Co-Dependent No More book. I see myself in so many scenarios.

Today is one month since I actually saw my XABF. 12 days of No Contact. No texts, emails, letters, flowers......nothing. It's what I asked for, but I'm still sad and miss what I thought we had.

Learning little by little that I can't accept any of his promises anymore. Still, the sadness and tears hit unexpectedly at times. Have not convinced myself yet that it's truly over. It's that recovering Polly-Annish moron coming out in me I guess.

Thank you for your support friends -

Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good job!

I always think even the act of walking through your fear to go to a meeting is a step toward recovery.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Walking through those doors the first time was hard for me. It meant I really and truly acknowledged my situation for what it was.

Someone recommended to go to at least 6 meetings before you make up your mind if Alanon is for you. I had deep reservations about the Higher Power part and needed at least 4 meetings to convince me I wanted to keep coming back and that my issues with a Higher power need not be a hinderence to finding help in the program.

I was surprised at how calm and supportive the people at the meetings were, and that there was even laughter. I think at that point I had forgotten how to laugh!

Anyway.....good for you!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That first meeting is always so hard! So congrats for getting through the door. I also have heard try 6 meetings, whether it's 6 of the same meeting or trying 6 different meetings (or some combination) is up to you. Either way, you're bound to learn a lot and be among people who understand where you've been and can help you get yourself on the path to recovery.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree good for you. I went to 4 different meetings before I found my home.

Your friend,
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

*****--so proud of you! Congratulations on such a great step toward your recovery. You will find a home, just like the one you have found here. Hearing other people's stories will confirm you are not alone, you are not crazy, and give you strength..
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, fewer tears and more smiles. That's what they said - 6 meetings / combo, etc. I am going on vacation next week. Might even try to find one at the beach, lol.

You guys/gals are the best!! Thanks for making my day.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I sat in the parking lot of several Alanon meetings and cried, without ever going in. And it took a lot of work to get there--travel, making sure my kid was being watched, getting completely showered and dressed, etc. When I finally went in, I wasn't sure what I was so afraid of--that was months ago, and I am so glad I did!

Keep going!!!! :-)