Notices

Do you notice binge drinking in pop culture more now?

Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you notice binge drinking in pop culture more now?

I know that I do.

The Katy Perry song, "Last Friday Night", while catchy and supposedly about fun times with friends, really horrifies me when I listen closely to the lyrics. If you're not familiar with it, it opens with, "There's a pounding in my head, there's a stranger in my bed," and goes on to tell how they "danced on tabletops, and we took too many shots," then "maxed our credit cards, and got kicked out of the bar" and eventually "skinnydipping in the dark, had a menage a trois."

YIKES! I don't know whose definition of fun that is. Even when I was a heavy drinker I never had a night like that (but I was a definite mess in other ways.) I just can't believe this is acceptable to sing about. I would be embarrassed to sing that. That's shameful behavior and shouldn't be glamorized at all.

Never thought I would be one of "those people" that criticizes artists for possibly corrupting youth, but I do have to say that's sending a bad message to Katy Perry's many young fans. I think one of the worst parts is, "It's a blacked out blur, but I'm pretty sure it ruled!" That's just continuing that perception that binge drinking is acceptable and part of being young. That kind of thing is why it took me so long to realize I had a problem - it seemed to be acceptable to drink until I was seeing double and talking out of my head.

And I'm not saying that she doesn't have the right to sing whatever she wants. But... come on.

I've also noticed in other songs mentions of binge drinking that are glamorized (Lady Gaga's Just Dance, which ironically we do in my Zumba class, something I do as part of my sobriety!) It just makes me shake my head. I wonder how many other young people hear these and think "Well, it's okay... right?"
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pop culture has always encouraged binge drinking. It is nothing new really. When I was ten years old, I knew all the words to Snoop Dogg's 1993 mega-hit "Gin 'N Juice". Today, we have shows like Jersey Shore which glamorize an alcoholic club monkey lifestyle of nightly binge-drinking and meaningless hook-ups. Sadly, most of the cast of Jersey Shore is around 30 years old. But before Jersey Shore, the Real World had just as much irresponsible drinking.

I remember when I was actively drinking alcoholically, and unaware of it, in my mid 20's a few years ago, that annoying Kesha song "Tik Tok" where she sings about "brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack" before leaving the house and getting kicked out of bars by police and such would always play at random bars in the later hours after the normal drinking happy hour crowd had long left the building. There was also that other annoying auto-tune Jamie Foxx song "Blame it on the Alcohol". Can't forget "I Love College" by Asher Roth. I got my first DUI a month before I graduated college when that song was big on the radio and TV.

The point is that alcohol, unfortunately, is the socially acceptable drug of choice in our society. However, normal people can binge drink for a few years in their youth and grow out of it quickly. In America and most Western societies, binge drinking among the youth is normalized although it can be extremely dangerous. Thousands of young people die annually of alcohol intoxication related deaths. When normal people face negative consequences as a result of binge drinking, they just stop drinking on their will power alone. This is not how it works for us alcoholics. I binge drank weekly, and often daily, for years after I graduated college and my life just kept getting worse and worse while I saw my old college drinking buddies moving on in life on Facebook, getting good jobs, starting families and no longer drinking like frat boys or sorority girls. I wanted to stop drinking for years and could not do it on my own.

As I am learning, the only way to treat alcoholism is a spiritual solution.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's reality tv shows that drive me up the wall. They portray binge drinking as normal. A friend of mine appeared on the tv show 'Binge Britain' and I appeared briefly in 'Crimewatch'. That's as far as my television credentials go. But programs like 'Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents' that just follow people going abroad and getting wasted don't help. Binge drinking is the new breed of alcoholism. People work a job Mon-Fri then get trashed every weekend and don't think it's a problem. It really is rather worrying.

Natom.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I notice it everywhere now, but then that is a reflection of my focus. I think often the drinking in books and songs is a reflection of society rather than promoting it itself. Bit of a chicken/egg situation though. I have noticed a lot of drinking in films recently, where people will be drinking before a stressful situation etc and I think that's a bit irresponsible. It's a bit like how now you don't often see people smoking in films, and if you do they're normally the baddy. It would be nice to see that a bit more with drinking. I doubt it would happen though.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think it is just today - it has been around for years. I was watching MASH this morning on DVD (one of my tv comfort foods). The drinking was insane on that show. Today I watched the episode where Hawkeye went on the wagon. I've seen the episode probably 100 times before -but this was my first time watching it after going through detox. They portrayed Hawkeye as being a new man the next morning after he gave up drinking!!! I was so mad I wanted to hit the TV!

I grew up watching MASH re-runs and Cheers - any wonder my idea of "normal" drinking was skewed??
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found this interesting as I have been watching all these British shows/ documentaries about binge drinking lately. It seems to be a real focus over there but I doubt its promoting much of anything. I graduated college in '07 and started drinking for real in '03 my first year and I didn't need a TV show to tell me to get hammered- I just showed up to campus- same goes for pretty much everyone I knew/know.

Now after a couple years out from the college days some of us are a mess but most have good jobs/husbands/wives/kids etc... have no drinking problems despite hitting it just as hard those years. Its not really cool to wake up on your friend's floor anymore the morning after now there is a wife telling you to get your sorry ass up and a baby crying.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I agree it's been around for years, but also agree it's so specific now. I thought the same thing when I really listened to the Katy Perry lyrics of that song. I wish there was some way someone would have gotten to us in college and made drinking seem totally uncool-it would have been a lifechanger.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was in high school in the 80s and it was big commercially then as well -- all the parties in the John Hughes films.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

I feel like I am more aware of drinking in the media now, too. Even though I'm dealing with oxy addiction currently, I was a binge drinker in college. I definitely seemed to drink more than my friends, or at least seemed to have more problems from it--wicked hangovers, blackouts, silly behavior, and more reaction to my drinking from others. Fortunately I did wake up in early 20s and stopped much of my drinking. Of course I started smoking pot.......

It's definitely been in popular media for ages. I remember watching Bewitched as a kid and they were always drinking to solve problems. And mittens, M*A*S*H is one of my tv "comfort foods" too. Love that term!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

some people have crazy binge drinking episodes when they're young, have fun, crazy nights as a result and move on without drinking becoming a problem. In fact, that describes most people. Those songs are pretty much about that. I understand your point, but it's no different than someone who has an obesity due to overeating problem claiming stuff like Man Vs. Food or other shows/songs/movies that glorify pigging out are terrible. For most people, they're really not. I think it's important to not lose sight of the fact that, for the vast majority pf people, alcohol, and even drinking to excess on occasion, never really becomes an issue in their life. I like the Katy Perry song. I don't believe that she's influencing anyone to do anything they wouldn't do without hearing her song.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In the uk it feels like I am living in a Truman show type world..celeb culture worship/alcoHELL obsession and possession . So boring and yesterday hearing people talking about getting drunk and being hungover. I really really notice things like this more as I approach a year sober. Everyone is like in sheep mode following each other drinking themselves stupid..zzzzz. Sober is like I have broken free and am outside the bubble looking in at all those still trapped inside getting drunk and puking up.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From reading the newspapers (I went to college back in the 1940's) my impression is that, although heavy drinking was more or less routine on weekends, students were fairly sober during the week.And I can't recall games where kids sat around a table and tried to see who could drink the most without passing out. But I read about these things today and also about hazing incidents where kids have been forced to drink and then have died. In addition back in the 1940's it was pretty much alcohol. There was relatively little use of hard drugs like cocaine, crack, heroin, among kids. Not really much marijuana either. Just booze and largely on weekends. Tubs of it in college rooms. But few if any games to see who could drink the most and many fewer deaths from hazing.The music was "swing"- Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman. Romance but no glorification of crude sex.

W.

W.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yogaisland View Post
I know that I do.

The Katy Perry song, "Last Friday Night", while catchy and supposedly about fun times with friends, really horrifies me when I listen closely to the lyrics. If you're not familiar with it, it opens with, "There's a pounding in my head, there's a stranger in my bed," and goes on to tell how they "danced on tabletops, and we took too many shots," then "maxed our credit cards, and got kicked out of the bar" and eventually "skinnydipping in the dark, had a menage a trois."

YIKES! I don't know whose definition of fun that is. Even when I was a heavy drinker I never had a night like that (but I was a definite mess in other ways.) I just can't believe this is acceptable to sing about. I would be embarrassed to sing that. That's shameful behavior and shouldn't be glamorized at all.

Never thought I would be one of "those people" that criticizes artists for possibly corrupting youth, but I do have to say that's sending a bad message to Katy Perry's many young fans. I think one of the worst parts is, "It's a blacked out blur, but I'm pretty sure it ruled!" That's just continuing that perception that binge drinking is acceptable and part of being young. That kind of thing is why it took me so long to realize I had a problem - it seemed to be acceptable to drink until I was seeing double and talking out of my head.

And I'm not saying that she doesn't have the right to sing whatever she wants. But... come on.

I've also noticed in other songs mentions of binge drinking that are glamorized (Lady Gaga's Just Dance, which ironically we do in my Zumba class, something I do as part of my sobriety!) It just makes me shake my head. I wonder how many other young people hear these and think "Well, it's okay... right?"
Writing songs about drinking has been around as long as drinking has. The genres morph, but it's something you have to contend with. It's never going to go away. Was "Dazed and Confused" about romantic obsession or about drug/alcohol abuse?

I don't know if the young people of today are any less responsible than any other time in recent memory, except for possibly in maxing out their credit cards. It's cyclical I think. Look how much smoking and drinking was glamorized in the films of the 40's. The children of the hippies aren't hippies themselves in many cases, the children of fundamentalists don't always adopt that mindset.

I wouldn't put much weight on what some artists do, because I question how artistic it is to begin with.

People can get all hyped up about anything. It doesn't mean it has lasting significance. The "rock" songs of the 50's sound one dimensional and vapid to me, but people feared that they would corrupt the youth.

Oh my God. They might smoke cigarettes or go drag racing.

Well, I do have to admit that the serial killing is getting worse. I think violent video games plays into that.

I think it comes down to parental guidance. I watched "Clockwork Orange," which was a seriously violent film, but I didn't go out and hurt anyone after watching it.

I really don't know what to say to parents of today. Your kids are going to see every imaginable thing on the internet eventually. I don't know if you should even try to stop them. The forbidden fruit has a strong enticement. Maybe if you just act like it's no big whoop it won't be. But nah, probably not.

The texting and the cell phone usage is off the hook.

I saw one documentary about a college student who was so addicted to video games and had skipped so many classes that he found himself on a ledge.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Now this popular top 40 song is beyond ridiculous'

I’m in the club so damn gone
I lost my friends and I lost my phone
I’m staggering all by my lone’
I don’t even know how I’m getting home
But its ok its alright
I’m so fresh yes, I’m so fly
I swore last night id give up drinking
Such a lie what was I thinking

[Pre chorus]
I see them moving, see them dancing
Yeah they doin’ that
I see them grooving poppin’ bottles
Like its new to them
I wanna join them but it seems
Like they’re too far for me
Plus where’s the bathroom at
Cause I really really got to pee

[Chorus]
Last night, I don’t remember last night
I said I’d never last night
What was I thinking?
I really need to give up drinking
I’m not gon’ drink again
But who am I kiddin’
I’m about to call my friends tonight
And do it over again

Fresh out the bathroom I’m so relieved
I make my way up to the vip
I done tripped on a step, what the heck
I take a quick look around
And I check my fresh
Then I proceed to-to my mission
I see a bottle and the vodka glistenin
Good lord that looks so lovely
Pardon me while I chase this bubbly

I see them moving, see them dancing
Yeah they doin’ that
I see them grooving poppin’ bottles
Like its new to them
I wanna join them but it seems
Like they’re too far for me
Plus where’s the bathroom man
Cause I really really got to pee

[Chorus]
What was I thinking?
I’m not gon’ drink again
But who am I kiddin’
And do it over again

Don’t act like you don’t drunk dial too!

[Snoop dogg]
That’s right, cash right
Shinning like a flashlight
Baby shake your ass right
Cause this could be your last night
Set the mood, spoon and groom
Ladies fill my living room
Bobby a, what you say?
Ian carey, my dj!
Play that song make it bang
We gon’ be here all night long
If you got that feeling feeling
Yeah now sing the song
D.o. Double g I am sold publicly
Speak my mind take my time
In the sky I am fly
If you’re low come with me
Cause I can get you hella high
Join my crew be my friend
Tomorrow night we do it again
Same time different place
What an ass, what a face
What a life you can have
And you don’t have to pack no bags
Just get on in and tomorrow night we do it again
That’s how it is I always does it big
Your place or mine a case of wine
Baby stop wasting time, so take a flight
Cause I’m only in town for one more night

[Chorus]
What was I thinking?
I’m not gon’ drink again
But who am I kiddin’
And do it over again

[Bridge]
I really shouldn’t have another one
But I’m just having way too much fun
So pour up another shot for you me and your friend
Some henny black on the rocks
And let’s all get shameless
And act famous act famous act famous
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mittens2020 View Post
I don't think it is just today - it has been around for years. I was watching MASH this morning on DVD (one of my tv comfort foods). The drinking was insane on that show. Today I watched the episode where Hawkeye went on the wagon. I've seen the episode probably 100 times before -but this was my first time watching it after going through detox. They portrayed Hawkeye as being a new man the next morning after he gave up drinking!!! I was so mad I wanted to hit the TV!

I grew up watching MASH re-runs and Cheers - any wonder my idea of "normal" drinking was skewed??
MASH was great. It did portray the downside of drinking at times... the episode where Hotlips got the DT's. Then there was the episode with the visiting surgeon who got too drunk to operate and had to walk Hawkeye through it. He said, "In the first war I didn't drink at all. In the second war I only drank on shore leave. Now I have feet of lead. I hope you do better on your 3rd war." (I'm paraphrasing)

I saw a guy in the alley behind where I used to work. He looked to be of the age to be a Vietnam vet. He had his 40 oz. beer, was crying, and throwing up every sip he took. A lot of stuff happened in that alley. There was a liquor store right around the corner.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fdm

I love How I Met Your Mother, but I chuckle to think of what it would really look like of it portrayed the drinking like it really is.

I imagine Barney wouldn't be so sharp. ;-)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

The medical community is adding binge drinking to it's definition of alcoholism and binge eating to it's definition of oh, over-eating disorder...not sure, but binging is being added to the medical dictionary when the new one comes out in the next year or so.

If you were/are a binger, you may just be noticing it now....