can i get these kids off the property?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tka

can i get these kids off the property?

I'm sorry to keep posting these type of questions... I guess I don't know where else to really ask.

I mentioned in other posts my father is taking things out of the house and selling it for beer and vodka. I guess some teenagers down the block bought some stuff and started talking to my father, and now for the last couple of weeks they have been hanging out in the driveway everyday. My dad must of told him we have a stereo system in the house, and the one teenager actually came in the house to unhook and took it out!

I guess noone else wants to be bothered with my dad at this point, so he resorted to making friends with teenagers that won't judge what he's doing.

Anyway, I asked the kid nicely to just leave the property because there's alot of personal issues going on, and I told him not to come in the house anymore and he said since my dad said it's ok then he's sorry, he can do what he wants. I asked how old he was (17) and I got his name; I was hoping to look up his last name to see if I could get a number in the phone book to maybe call his parents but I didn't find anything.

I started talking to him a bit trying to convince him to leave, and he started telling me how he's on medications for anger management and how if he doesn't take it it's easy for him to snap, and that he has ADHD and some other problems. Trust me - I'm not one to judge these problems; I have depression and anxiety issues, my mom has issues - but I just don't want some stranger with these problems in the house since I'm already dealing with so much.

Can I call the cops on this person? Since the house isn't in my name (it's also not in my mom's), do I have a right to say? I feel bad calling the cops on him, maybe he has problems at home and wants to stay here or something - but I don't really want him involved in all that's going on here.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If it's your dad's house, he can let anybody in that he wants to, and sell/give away anything he wants to. The kid hasn't committed any crime, so there's nothing to call the police about.

It doesn't sound like a safe situation, though, for you and your mom. If I were you, I'd leave, and try to get mom to come with. If she won't, though, not much you can do about that, either. She's an adult.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tka

yes, I don't feel too safe, plus I feel my privacy is being violated when some kid is in the house or walking around outside. It seems a little weird teenagers would want to be spending their summer days around this house anyway.

I already did call the cops a few days ago about my dad taking stuff that was specifically mine and the cop told him to not take my stuff and to ask before selling things. The cop did say it was theft when he takes my things.

While my mom is an adult, she's on disability and has beginning signs of dementia (which might be for another forum), but it's hard to convince her to start preparing or talking to her on what we can do.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You could try calling Adult Protective Services (or whatever your State equivalent is). If your mom needs protection, they might be able to do something, maybe have her evaluated and a guardian appointed (such as you) if need be. But if she is competent and refuses to do anything, then you're pretty much stuck, I think.

I take it your father isn't physically abusive or threatening?