Notices

advice on recovery to physical alcohol addiction please?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

advice on recovery to physical alcohol addiction please?

So about 2 months ago I was prescribed adderall. I have never had a history of drug or alcohol addiction. Once I got my adderall prescription, I started drinking very heavily at night. To give you an idea, between 1/3 and 2/3's of a handle of bourbon. That continued for for a month and a half and then last saturday and sunday I drank all day and night. Over the last couple weeks I had noticed some symptoms such as my heart beating very hard, my legs twitching, and over the last couple days have noticed my hands will slightly shake in the morning and today I even got cold sweats at work so bad I had to go home! So odviously, I am expieriencing withdrawls. So starting yesterday, I have switched to just beer. No more liqour or wine. I have read several sites online that talk about detoxing at home with beer and just tapering down. I am very concious of my health and want to get over this while avoiding any long term issues. Is this a valid form of detox if done correctly?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

In short - no. Beer is still alcohol and you will only drink more and more of it in time to give you the same hit that the wine and spirits gave you.

The physical symptoms you were displaying are clear indications of your body under terrible stress from the affects of the alcohol.

Sorry to not placate you but your course of action is the slippery slope I'm afraid. I have also tried to moderate with other things over the years and you just end up back at square one, took me 11 years of very heavy drinking to get the message though doh!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Moderation or tapering never worked for me, it might for a couple days or even weeks but then I'd find myself right back where I started (if not worse). Those symptoms you described sound like classic withdrawal symptoms to me, if I were in your shoes I would go have a very honest visit with your doctor and ask for help detoxing.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd check with your doc on the meds and the drinking. I once tapered off for a couple of years. And yes, beer, wine, bourbon, whatecer. Same o same o.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

also should mention, and as much as everyone will probably disagree with this, i don't believe i am an alcoholic. a 2 month problem doesn't make me an alcoholic. i've never had issues w/it before and always did fine. quitting drinking isn't the goal here for me. it's to drink at a normal level. which i have done for years. this was a combination of a medication and drinking that made me take it to a higher level. and now i can stop that medication and take a good 2 month break, then go back to doing things how i did before.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, know problem.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdd1987 View Post
also should mention, and as much as everyone will probably disagree with this, i don't believe i am an alcoholic. a 2 month problem doesn't make me an alcoholic. i've never had issues w/it before and always did fine. quitting drinking isn't the goal here for me. it's to drink at a normal level. which i have done for years. this was a combination of a medication and drinking that made me take it to a higher level. and now i can stop that medication and take a good 2 month break, then go back to doing things how i did before.
1/2 a handle of any alcohol isn't normal. Sorry. Regular drinkers die from much less. My suggestion is to ask medical professionals about your withdrawal symptoms. I'm not saying your ARE an alcoholic... I'm just not saying you aren't. Ask a professional.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A valid form of detox is one monitored by a professional, especially after drinking 1/3 to 2/3 a handle a day.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdd1987 View Post
Phew. And I thought it was abnormal to drink a handle all day, drink all night, miss work due to drinking, go through withdrawal, drink while on meds, attempt and fail at moderating, and finally after all that come to the conclusion I don't have a problem.

Glad you have it all figured out. We will still be here if you need help after you research some more.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took adderall "recreationally" on a few occasions and found that my ability to consume alcohol increased tenfold because the depressant effect was moderated by the amphetamine. The speed-alcohol combination is a very bad one that can quickly spin out of control. Go to the doc and definitely be honest about what you've been doing.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bdd
Welcome

Forget the labels for now. You obviously felt concerned enough to find this site and join up.

It is possible to develop a problem very quickly and, as others have said between 1/3 and 2/3's of a handle of bourbon a night is way in excess of normal drinking levels...

I had to look 'handle' up and it's 1.75l...so at least, at 1/3, that's half a litre...that's a lot, no matter how you cut it....I'm not surprised you found yourself drinking all day last weekend.

Switching to beer is not a step forward though - it's a side step at best. Been there done that - helped pay for the brewery.

Tapering never worked for me either.

I hope you'll seek some professional medical advice about the drinking and the adderal

D