Notices

What to expect going cold turkey

Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect going cold turkey

Today is the lowest day of my life that I can remember. I need desperately to stop drinking. I tried to go one night last week without anything and all night long I had twitching and convulsing (shocks I think you call them) which just sent me right back to drinking because of how scared I was.

I have been drinking probably 2 bottles of wine a night for several years now. I am a completely functioning alcoholic, but it is time to take my life back. I have everything to live for (2 beautiful young children) a wonderful husband. However, life has just been very stressful lately. Had to sell our home, husband lost his job, etc.

My question is how long does it take to get over the shaking/sweats, shocks or twitching. I need to get through that step. How do I do it? Does anyone have suggestions on holistic things I can take to help me get through the night when it is so bad I can't sleep?

Thank you for listening. I am so scared.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We can't give medical advice here but usually detox lasts a few days to a week and then the worst is over. If you have ANY concerns or fears or abnormal/severe reactions, PLEASE go to the ER. Alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous so please seek help immediately if needed.

Welcome to our recovery family.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Although I'd done it many times before, my last detox was bad.

Not everyone gets into trouble, but it's just impossible to forecast beforehand.
I always recommend people get professional medical advice before detoxing - it's simply the best option to see your Dr.

As least said we cannot give you medical info, but we have this thread that may help you on some of the more general questions

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR - you're among friends here

D
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawals can be more than dangerous - they can kill you. You need to get to a Dr or the ER so you can detox safely.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Least said plus it seems like you're going to have to face it sometime and take it from me the longer you stay active the harder its going to be. Maybe you should talk to your doctor and get his/her advice, assistance. My best to you.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your input. I agree, I think the longer I delay the worse it will be. I have already started to notice some serious changes physically (red spots on skin that randomely appear), etc. I wish I had never gotten to this "place" but now that I am I have to face it. The few times I have tried to get sober my husband doesn't understand the changes I am going through (irritability, sleep deprivation, tiredness), and so support at home isn't that great. I need all the friends I can get here to help me through this journey. Thanks for your suppor!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've always had a lot of help and support here from my recovery family.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, it means a lot to know that you are not alone. I am just trying to figure out what the best approach is. How to replace old behavior with new. I think I am going to go out and go for a long run tonight, or maybe go hit the yoga studio and sweat out the toxins to help me get back on track and keep my mind off the bottle of wine I have in my fridge. Maybe I will ask my husband to pour it out before I get home.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

when you talk to the doctor, please make sure they understand that you are going to quit. My husband visited the doctor specifically to tell him he wanted to quit. The doctor took blood tests and then sent him home, no advice, no cautions, nothing. The next morning (about 12 hours dry) he had seizures, hit his head, had a concussion and spent 2 weeks in hospital. I was furious the doctor had been so unhelpful at that visit and we had had no idea what could happen.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

kcbf be careful! please talk to your doc before doing anything like long runs while you are detoxing from alcohol--even if it is a regular activity for you...all bets are off during detox and the stress on your body can be very dangerous! And yes, prob a good idea to throw out that bottle.

Please check back in!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is it better to have your doctor monitor you, or would you even suggest checking into the hospital? I am very frightened of having a seizure. And, often times I feel like I am on the brink of one. The night I spent last week with no alcohol and woke up every time my body jolted was when I realized this is a very scary and dangerous thing and I need to make sure I handle this the right way.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok. Thanks. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow first thing in the morning. So, I just need to be honest with her how much I have been drinking. She knows I have been struggling with it for awhile, but I was too ashamed to admit how much I was drinking. Still am, but now feel it is at a very serious stage. I am 41 and want to see my children grow up. They deserve it and so do I. Much appreciated everyone.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your Dr should be able to advise whats best for you, kcbf

D
Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Honesty with your doctor is a good thing but can be hard. At one time not only did I lie to my doctor I lied to my therapist. Honesty is the only policy with sobriety. Again all my best to you.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Google "alcohol withdrawal" there is a lot of good information out there
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi kcbf. I'm a mom with younger kids too. I stopped 26 days ago. I'm so proud of you for taking such smart steps right away. Please check in and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It takes courage to face our problem and ask for help. It's not fun, but it's the best thing you can do for yourself. I think doctors are more than willing to help us when we're honest with them. They see the effects of alcoholism every day.

So give yourself a big hug for taking action and know that we're here for you. We know how it feels. Look at it like having a bad case of the flu - once you get through the first days, things will get SO much better.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I have to admit that I am afraid to go to bed tonight as I am afraid it is going to be another sleepless night with twitches and sweats....but, what is keeping me going is know that I am starting my road to recovery. I sat down with my husband tonight to let him know just how much I have been drinking (shocking he wasn't surprised). I think the only person I have fooled lately is myself. My husband says that he is so proud of me, that he has seen things starting to crack. I have detached myself from life, friends, love, and all the things I used to love to do.

How does one forgive themself for all the pain and chaos their drinking has caused? How did I get here?

Wish me luck in getting through tonight.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good luck. You are in my thoughts.

Big hug to you
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My question is how long does it take to get over the shaking/sweats, shocks or twitching.
It took me a good hard long time to get past detox symptoms of withdraw.

Once I fond my inner strength to make healthy changes, things just naturally got so much better.

You might find it wonderful as I have to take back full control of life's direction...It dose get way, way better with quitting that slow death drugging is .