Has he relapsed again?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has he relapsed again?

My best friend was seriously addicted to Oxycontin for three years. It started at parties, just a little here and there and gradually built up to some obscene amount.. It has been a year since he quit and went through all of the obnoxious withdrawl symptoms but he still gets waves of it periodically.

He and I moved in together two months ago and he swears he's been clean but I just get that feeling... I grew up with an alcoholic/drug addicted father and I'm seeing a lot of the same behaviors and it's really scary..

Is it normal to still get waves of sickness, sleeplessness and cold sweats after this long??

I'm just so scared he's still using and too afraid to tell me.

Please help.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, it's not normal, nor is it possible if someone has been clean for a year.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I agree, trust your instincts - it is NOT normal in the slightest and this is speaking from experience with MANY c/t w/d's from opiates for 10+ years.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A year "clean" and he's having detox-level withdrawal symptoms? I'm afraid not. Unfortunately, he's not clean. Like the others, I'm speaking from years of personal experience.

Just remember to put yourself first, especially if he refuses to be honest about relapse and doesn't take action.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Trust your gut, unlike an addict, it never lies.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This sounds like my bf. He went to rehad n was clean for 4 months before he relapsed. At first he wasnt admitting it while it was obvious he was lying/stealing for drugs. I knew wat had happened and what was going on. Even tho it was painful, i sat him down n said i know whats going on..when youre ready to admitt it and get help ill be here. It took him 6 months before he admitted his relapse but he went back to detox. Later he said how that talked helped him to realize that i was still going to be there to get him the support he needed (even tho i was upset). Try having a firm but informative convo with him. Dont expect a response right away but leave the door open. He has to want to get better, for homself.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi worried, I haven't been here in a loooong time, but am stopping by tonight and saw your post. One thing I discovered was that I really suck at being able to honestly tell by looking if my addict is using or not. Most of the time my daughter would tell me (later, when going through a sober phase) that I generally thought she was good when high and using when coming down. Oh well.

For me it has become about being aware of what sort of behavior is ok around me. And being specific about that and sticking to it... whether the person is using, or not. Things like raging or sleeping tooo much or not contributing or things disappearing ... by keeping it to the behaviors, I didn't have to make them lie to me about their use, because the use really doesn't matter. It is the behaviors that come with it.

I wish you the best.

BigSis
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Let me tell you...if it's been that long he's using! Withdrawl symptoms simply don't last that long!
My husband is addicted to oxy's and I can now tell when he's actively using almost immediately.
Look for PIN DOT pupils (even in the dark they are SO tiny), cold sweats, constipation, nausea, etc. The eyes will ALWAYS give it away though once you know to look.
I hope he get the help he needs and soon