Notices

Is this just me?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this just me?

I don't know if this is just me but I do enjoy getting drunk. The only thing I don't like it when I wake up the next day and want to drink again to avoid the hangover. Does this make anything sense?

I'm trying to look back and find reason why I drink and why I started to binge drink. One of the recovery process I'm going through.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can see where you are coming from. There was a point where I enjoyed getting drunk. However, it didn't take long before the consequences of drinking made it not worth it (of course, I kept drinking despite this). Thankfully, I eventually got to the point where I was both sick of the consequences, and I didn't like the feeling of being intoxicated. Drinking just doesn't make sense to me anymore.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe because we're alcoholic and we create our reasons to drink just as we create our own realities?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it really comes down to chasing a dragon, looking for that perfect bliss. With me I would start with a couple beers start to feel kinda good but it wasn't enough have a few more strt to feel even better but I wasn't there yet, have four or five more and then decide that I would feel just perfect if I smoked a joint, then I find myself waking up fully dressed on the couch,laptop on my chest with a beer spilled all over me and the couch cushions and then get up stumbling around for some water/ go to the bathroom / bed and then wake up with a banging head filled with a chorus of angry voices and a body teetering on nausea. It just gets old. Unproductive and old. It is the feeling of years flying away from my life and a determination to not harm myself or others that has me committed to making this work this time.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmm well no doubt part of the start of the whole deal may have been how drinking made us feel either physically or emotionally. The actual effects of alcohol change depending on dosage but most people reading here would be feeling the depressive effects it has on the CNS and well the whole emotional effect as it enters the brain well for me , more often in the last days it was awful.

The initial feelings of euphoria of a few drinks was fine but I never stopped there typically. Then its the cravings that go insane and soon weeks would fly by and I was right back to facing yet another withdrawal. The cost was and is simply to high now. I have actually rejoiced more in the feeling of waking up not hungover , drunk or looking for a drink so my hands wont shake than in feeling drunk at any time.

I mourned the passing of the old friend and miss it at odd times but I have no desire to rekindle a relationship with King Alcohol. Just so much more now that makes me happy , makes me smile , laugh and well even cry.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I liked it. I just didn't like the compulsion to do it over and over. And all of the other negative things that came with the package.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was only nice for the first 1-3 drinks... after that, I can hardly remember feeling anything. Just exaggerated emotions or numbness... nothing real. Out of my mind really after the 3rd. But of course, if I could stop at 1 or 2 I wouldn't be here...
Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycarticles/2011-11181-001.pdf

Rose-colored beer goggles: The relation between experiencing alcohol consequences and perceived likelihood and valence.

By Logan, Diane E.; Henry, Teague; Vaughn, Matthew; Luk, Jeremy W.; King, Kevin M.

Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, May 30, 2011, No Pagination Specified.

Abstract

Although experiencing alcohol-related consequences has some influence on future drinking, this effect may be stronger based on the degree to which the consequence is viewed as positive versus negative, either by the individual or predefined by researchers. This study explored the relationship between experiencing positive and negative alcohol-related consequences and college students' perceptions of how likely those consequences were to occur in the future (i.e., likelihood), and their view of how positive or negative experiencing those consequences would be if they did experience them as a result of drinking (i.e., valence). Data were collected from 491 college students (mean age = 19.26; 56.4% female; 55.0% Caucasian; 33.2% Asian/Pacific Islander) through a computerized survey. Results indicated that experiencing more positive consequences in the past year was associated with viewing those consequences as both more likely to occur and more positive, while experiencing more negative consequences was associated with viewing them as less negative and no more likely to occur, except for those who had experienced the highest levels of negative consequences. These findings suggest that finding ways to reduce both perceptions as well as consequences themselves may be effective intervention tools.
Article that cites above study:

Rose-colored beer goggles: Some drinkers believe social benefits of heavy drinking outweigh harms

Rose-Colored Beer Goggles: Some Drinkers Believe Social Benefits of Heavy Drinking Outweigh Harms

ScienceDaily (July 6, 2011) —
A study by University of Washington psychologists shows some people continue to drink heavily because of perceived positive effects, despite experiencing negative effects such as hangovers, fights and regrettable sexual situations.

According to participants in the study, boosts of courage, chattiness and other social benefits of drinking outweigh its harms, which they generally did not consider as strong deterrents.
The findings offer a new direction for programs targeting binge drinking, which tend to limit their focus to avoiding alcohol's ill effects rather than considering its rewards.

"This study suggest why some people can experience a lot of bad consequences of drinking but not change their behavior," said Kevin King, co-author and UW assistant professor of psychology.
"People think, 'It's not going to happen to me' or 'I'll never drink that much again.' They do not seem to associate their own heavy drinking with negative consequences," he said.

The paper was published online May 30 in Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
Nearly 500 college students completed an online survey measuring their drinking habits during the previous year. The survey assessed how often the participants had experienced 35 different negative consequences of drinking, such as blackouts, fights, hangovers, missed classes and work, and lost or stolen belongings, as well as 14 positive effects of drinking, including better conversational and joke-telling abilities, improved sexual encounters and more energy to stay up late partying and dancing.

The researchers also measured the participants' beliefs about how likely all of these drinking consequences would happen again and how positive or negative they were.

Participants rated the upsides to drinking as more positive and likely to happen in the future, a finding the researchers call "rose-colored beer goggles."
"It's as though they think that the good effects of drinking keep getting better and more likely to happen again," said Diane Logan, lead author and a UW clinical psychology graduate student.

Respondents' perceptions of drinking's negative consequences differed according to how many bad experiences they had had. Those who experienced a small to moderate number of ill effects of drinking did not consider the experiences to be not so bad and did not think that they were any more likely to experience them again compared with students who hadn't experienced them.

The researchers call this cognitive-dissonance reasoning. It leads to people, on the morning after a night of heavy partying, telling themselves "I'll never drink that much again" or "I threw up that one time, but that's not me; I won't do it again." Or, it may be that once a bad consequence of drinking happens, people think that it wasn't really as bad as they initially thought, the researchers speculated.

But the participants reporting the most bad experiences rated the episodes as more negative and more likely to happen again. "Until high levels of negative consequences are experienced, participants aren't deterred by the ill effects of drinking," Logan said.
The findings have implications for alcohol intervention programs for college students, which tend to focus on how to avoid the negative consequences of drinking. "We should take into account how people don't think of negative consequences as all that bad or likely to happen again," Logan said, adding that factoring in how people view alcohol's positive effects "might have a bigger impact" on drinking habits.

She suggests a risk reduction approach by helping people reduce their drinking such that they still get some of the positive effects while avoiding many of the negative and recommends training exercises to increase social skills in the absence of alcohol.

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism funded the study. Co-authors are Teague Henry, a UW psychology undergraduate student; Matthew Vaughn, a former UW psychology undergraduate student; and Jeremy Luk, a UW psychology graduate student.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

I used to enjoy it but that was a long time ago, when the hangovers were manageable I suppose. However, as time went by I grew to be sick to the death of it but still did it. I was with a heavy drinking crowd, it was what we did and it became habit as much as anything else.

It was like autopilot, finish work have a drink, husband arrives home have a drink, friend pops round pour a drink, cook dinner with a drink, read a book with a drink, there was always an excuse and the tolerance levels went up and up whereby I needed more to get that rosy feeling.

However, the pros far outweighed the cons and by the age of 41 my poor body was sick and tired and I was full of self loathing.

Getting drunk no longer appeals and when I see drunk people around me, it makes me shudder, but the monster still lurks and so I have to be vigilant everyday as he is always looking for that ***** in my armour, I have to stay one step ahead.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

I used a word above that has been starred, this must be one of those US/English translations where the words mean different things as the word is totally benign and commoly used in the English language.

Anyway the word I used means "a weakness" in the armour.

e.g Fanny, a British person has a totally different conotation of that word! lol
Old 07-18-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hmmm, I only started getting hangovers at the end...I don't actually remember anything particularly enjoyable about being drunk. When I started drinking I remember thinking I liked it but in retrospect I liked that it made me feel like I fit in (this was an illusion) and I liked that it lowered my inhibitions (leading to unsafe actions) and I liked that it seemed to add a haze to a situation which I perceived as a good thing but now I don't think so.

What is it about being drunk you enjoy?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Once I became an alcoholic....I can honestly say, it was no longer enjoyable to me. It was hell. I look back on those awful drunken days and shudder. Towards the end, I would HAVE to drink because my hangovers were so bad. I'm so grateful to be sober!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
...but I do enjoy getting drunk.
Kept me drinking for over thirty years.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's not just you. I liked it, a lot! At times looked forward to getting trashed & letting loose. I was a happy drunk who thought she was hilarious....moans. It became too much. I was spending more time drunk or hungover than not. It was effecting my health& quality of life. Nothing would get done, plans canceled or tolerated but not enjoyed, until the next drink.
I want to change now. We're all here on sr for a reason.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i definitely enjoy getting drunk. but i am never drunk enough until i am blacked out and then the consequences of doing that make it not worth it. hang in there.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I don't know if this is just me but I do enjoy getting drunk. The only thing I don't like it when I wake up the next day and want to drink again to avoid the hangover. Does this make anything sense?

I'm trying to look back and find reason why I drink and why I started to binge drink. One of the recovery process I'm going through.

That's what alcoholics do......they drink.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was actually proud of how much I could drink and still look and act sober. I couldn't wait for work to end so I could crack one open. God, I've been sober since the 14th and today my fingers arn't working. Typing is hard. Just goes to show what I actually did to myself and I did it for 27 yrs. Alchohol has become an inherent part of me and I am trying to rip it out.
I know how I started. I partied with my friends and it was cool to get absolutly slammed. With an alchoholic father it was really easy to get booze. Later I spent every evening at the bar because I thought I was being social. Very soon I drank just because I couldn't not drink. Social had nothing to do with it and gradually I become a loner. Hiding in my house and drinking. I would buy my booze at a different store all the time and rotate my purchases so that outsiders would not know the extent of my drinking.
The hangovers told me I was an alchoholic. I've known and accepted that I was a drunk for about the last 12 yrs but, as long as I could be responsable at work and my wife never complained I thought I had it good. Alchoholism never snuck up on me. We crahed into each other early and have had a very long relationship ever since.