Notices

10th step promises

Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post 10th step promises

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone even alchol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If temted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the MIRACLE of it. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition. pg 84-85 AA big book

BB quote 1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 07-25-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added source per SR copy right mandatory instruction
Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Bob Darrel (Las Vegas) says we can experience all of the 9th step promises and fail to stay sober without the 10th step promise that says "the problem has been removed".
Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I get a laugh each time I hear Joe Hawk say,

"Isn't it funny that, in our rooms (of AA), everyone talks about the 9th step promises as being THE promises in AA.....you know, the one's you experience before you're halfway done with ammends. I wonder if that's because not many people get beyond halfway through 9 and get to experience the promises in steps 10 - 12?"
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep. The 9th Step promises were what I thought were cool sitting there keeping myself sober. They moved me deeply, usually a few months before an epic relapse.

The 10th Step promises are what I actually experienced when I did the work. As long as I follow directions without expectation, both sets of promises are realized.

I see lots of 'go to meetings and fight the urge' types of posts in the Newcomer's forum. Nothing could be further from the AA experience than fighting the urge. The 10th Step promises sum it up very nicely.

Sometimes I think Step 1.5 should read, 'We STFU and followed directions.'
Old 07-25-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Step 1.5 is a must !!!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thank you !