Notices

How To Handle Long-Term Soberity In These

Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How To Handle Long-Term Soberity In These

1. You got fired from your job because it was your fault.

2. You will not getting an unemployment benefits.

How I do main remain sane in this circumstances? How do you handle multiple years of unemployment that was your fault by not taking drinking?
The guilt and shame of these events are too unbearble.

Or I do surrender my lifeto God and admit my life is unabsolutely unmanageable without God, and return back to the church. Is that my only hope? Is it give it to all to God regardless how much skepictism that I have about his existance
Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have many options. God is one of them. I'm agnostic but I've managed to remain sane despite a few tragic happenings in my life. You always have options... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about you, but I've been there and I know I don't handle them by picking up again or by running away. I think hope can be found in infinate ways as long as we're looking for it and open to it. It can be found within ourselves and outside ourselves, whether its God, church, AA, friends, family, life changes, whatever. If you look you will find it and know what's true for you. The Buddha said "Be a light unto yourself". As I said, we know from experience what doesn't work, be open and embrace whatever does.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Normies, (non-alcoholics), deal with all the tragedies and crisis of life in the same way: normally. Normies experience death in the family, poverty, physical injury, divorce, well...you name it, just like us. But, they don't pick up a drink to deal with it. They just get on with it. A big challenge with recovery is to "deal" with it without drinking. A program, social contact, a sponsor in AA, a good addiction therapist can help us all figure out how to deal with life without a drink.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I dealt with difficult times in my life and I drank. However, I have dealt with many other difficult times in my life sober. I lost my job awhile back and since have gotten another. The reason why I got the job is because I was sober. I know that. If I were drinking it would be self sabotage. I also chose not to file for unemployment because it is a joke as far as I'm concerned. That is a whole other topic...

Tough times in life are manageable sober. I prefer it that way.

As far as God and the church goes...that is up to you. I'm not a church goer myself, but do believe that my HP has changed my life drastically. I wasn't to keen on the idea in the beginning of my sober, but what I have gained has been a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by LosingmyMisery; 07-17-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 07-17-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've dealt with many difficult things in my sober life too - bereavement, illness, lost jobs, relationships ending, stress....

I find it better these days to look for solutions, and drinking is not a solution

Let go of your shame Crisco - what happened then happened - it's today that matters...it's the only day we can do anything about.

Best of luck in finding a new job.

D
Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All I can say is that drinking won't make anything better and will usually make a bad situation much worse.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's nothing so bad that drinking won't make it worse, guaranteed.

Those steps are meant to be worked and reworked. Step 1 sounds like a great place to start.