Worried gf

Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried gf

My bf is a recovering addict from percs. He has been to rehab n recently relapsed. He used for about 6 months after that before returning to detox n going to meetings. Im very supportive and proud of him but im having my doubts. I feel very guilty for feeling this way. I think the thing that is bothering me the most is worry that he may relapse again. Also im having trouble feeling fufilled in our relationship recently since he is so busy w meetings n hanging with his sponser. I realize how selfish this sounds bc i should be happy hes sober..i guess i just need reassurance that ill get my bf back at some point and until then how do i keep from feeling lonley and unappreciated? I dont want to end up resenting him in the long run so im tryin to learn how to cope now. Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure how long he has been going to meetings this time but keep yourself busy and with a full life of your own. Recovery is tough work and easy to take personally but try not to.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is only new to the meetings this time. And i want the guy i fell in love w back (when he wasnt using) i guess its hard to have a give and take relationship right now since he does have to be so selfish so he can recover. Thats what im struggling with the most. He is doing amazing and currently hiking with guys from AA so im happy because he is busy and enjoying life sober. I just worry that ill get lost in the dust if his recovery (again i know i sound selfish) i have been staying as busy as possible..i work 50 hrs a,week and am involved w volunteering on the weekends. Just at the end of the night..when its just him and i..i feel disconnected. Im hoping this gets better with time, im just worried.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Every time I've looked to someone else to make me happy, it didn't work.

Happiness is an inside job.

Is there any chance you can find the time for Alanon or Naranon meetings for face-to-face support for yourself?

As has already been said, the best help you can be to him is to take care of yourself, dear!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt somewhat lonely when my ABF started going to meetings too because it seemed like it was all he did. Now he doesn't go to any, and I wish he would!

Not sure where you are in PA, but there is a f2f Nar-anon meetings in Douglassville on Sundays and many other in the state.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you for such prompt and helpful responses. I just need to be patient and let time heal. Being positive n thinking about me will help also.