Notices

Just Curious

Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Curious

as to people's thoughts, inputs on a couple of things: 1)how long is one deemed a newcomer to recovery and 2) a clarification on the terms recovering and recovered. I know people who say we're always in recovery, never recovered. But the Big Book Third Edition subtitles Alcoholics Anonymous as "The story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism".
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
1)how long is one deemed a newcomer to recovery
For as long or as short a time as you want. Do you feel confident that you will never drink again? Can function without alcohol? If so, then you are not necessarily a newcomer.

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
2) a clarification on the terms recovering and recovered. I know people who say we're always in recovery, never recovered. But the Big Book Third Edition subtitles Alcoholics Anonymous as "The story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism".
I prefer not to use either term, but if I had to, I would use recovered. If I break my legs, for example, I am "recovering" while they heal, and possibly during physical therapy. Once I can walk again without crutches, I am recovered. In similar vein, I was once dependent on alcohol, but now I am not. I can function without it, just as I can walk without crutches.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tend these days to think in terms of becoming "recovered"...like the broken leg analogy, it doesn't mean I can't break my leg again...but the idea that I am always in a state of ilness doesn't sit well with me these days.

I am still recovering..but i beleive recovery is possible...

I currently have 2 months, but have been in AA and working on sobriety for over 25 years. I'm a newcommer, yet I'm not....I question does it even matter which label I use...I am who I am..not new, not recovered...Fortunately my "home group" pretty much knows where I am on the path...
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I plan to be a newcomer forever. No matter how many years I gain, I want to remain teachable and I want to see things fresh and new. There will always be something new to learn. There will always be room to grow and change.

I was recovering while I worked steps 1 through 9. I was recovered after I completed my last amend. My recovery is depended upon daily maintenance of my spiritual condition. I am not cured of alcoholism. What I have been given is a daily repreive.
Susan
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I considered myself a newcomer until I started my AA Steps...

In AA meetings....I say Carol here..alcoholic.

In all 4 Editions of our basic text...the word recovered is used
87 times if my memory is correct.
I think it always referrs to members who had a spiritual expereince and are now daily living it.

Here is what worked for me...no it's not in our BB....

I know the last 5 years I drank..I was an alcoholic.
Somehow I got the notion...I needed to be sober double that
in order to be recovered.

well...about year 10...darn if I did not begin to think of myself as an AA recovered alcoholic....
Yes 12 years after recovered...I remain active and grateful.

I do know people who have never used AA...and if they also found their way into a better way of life...I'm thrilled for them.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I tend these days to think in terms of becoming "recovered"...like the broken leg analogy, it doesn't mean I can't break my leg again...but the idea that I am always in a state of ilness doesn't sit well with me these days.

I am still recovering..but i beleive recovery is possible...
I agree. I can be "Recovered" from a gunshot wound, but that does not make me bullet-proof. I call myself "Recovered" for 3 reasons;

1. I identify with the first 100 AA members who "Recovered"

2. I have recovered the same attitude (liberation) toward liquor as I had before I picked up my first drink.

3. I was as "Recovered" 1 millisecond after having a "Spiritual Awakening" as I will ever get. A 50 year token will not add 1 iota to my recovery.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I considered myself recovered when I knew I never wanted to drink again. If you can live happily without your DOC you are recovered in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
I considered myself recovered when I knew I never wanted to drink again. If you can live happily without your DOC you are recovered in my opinion.
So... say I'm content to never drink again. But, I'm not as "happy" as I think I could be... I have some lingering issues and things... does this mean I'm recovered from alcoholism and just need to work out my other issues? Or, am I not fully recovered because I haven't learned to live fully and happily sober?

Basically, I'm asking everyone: Do you lump in your overwell well-being with your former (or current "alcoholism"), or do separate your addiction/alcoholism from other psych-related issues? Are they separate things?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
So... say I'm content to never drink again. But, I'm not as "happy" as I think I could be... I have some lingering issues and things... does this mean I'm recovered from alcoholism and just need to work out my other issues? Or, am I not fully recovered because I haven't learned to live fully and happily sober?

Basically, I'm asking everyone: Do you lump in your overwell well-being with your former (or current "alcoholism"), or do separate your addiction/alcoholism from other psych-related issues? Are they separate things?
Although many people will group the two together, I separate the two. I have learned how to deal with life without alcohol. Drinking is not an option, and I am happy with that.

But that being said, I didn't drink for any specific reason, I drank because I liked to.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To me, they are all meaningless labels.

Call yourself whatever you want. Only actions matter.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think depends on who is using the term and whether it helps or hinders. It doesn't bother me that I'm still new after trying for 4-5 years. It bothers me that I didn't get it back then but it is what it is. New, as defined by time, doesn't mean new in knowledge and experience. It can but based on my time on SR, it doesn't.

Personally, the word recovery doesn't help me. I'm either sober or I'm drinking. I might change my mind later on because I'm still new .
Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raindancer11 View Post
I think depends on who is using the term and whether it helps or hinders. It doesn't bother me that I'm still new after trying for 4-5 years. It bothers me that I didn't get it back then but it is what it is. New, as defined by time, doesn't mean new in knowledge and experience. It can but based on my time on SR, it doesn't.

Personally, the word recovery doesn't help me. I'm either sober or I'm drinking. I might change my mind later on because I'm still new .
Nice, Raindancer! I think this hits home with me too. Yep, this feels more intuitive to me.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post

I find it hard to separate the two: my issues led to drinking, and my drinking led to more issues. If I don't deal with the root causes of why I sought to escape reality, and the consequences of that escaping, the probablity of returning to my DOC is too great. I try not to get too hung up on the words and labels, but as long as sobriety is something that I have to actively work at every day, I definitely consider myself in "recovery", and if that lasts the rest of my life, so be it.