any animal/pet lovers here? pet friendly

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tka

any animal/pet lovers here? pet friendly

Just wondering if there is anyone else here that has found having the company of a pet during rough times a great comfort? I have cats, and I don't think I would be remaining as strong as I have been without them. When noone else seems to understand I can just lay back and relax with them and they really help me let go of the stress.

I mentioned in other threads some of the problems with my father drinking at home and how our home is going into foreclosure. There's still the possibility he can sell the house at any time, and he doesn't say much about at what point the foreclosure process is at. At the moment, I'm waiting for an appointment with social services to see if I can get assistance and what my options might be if the house is sold or whatever... but in the event I might have to leave all of a sudden and go to a shelter, how would I go about finding out if I could take my pets?

I know alot of people will say to give them up and worry about myself, but 2 of my cats are pretty old so it would be hard to rehome them. Plus they are kinda like my children...and given the events it would probably help me to have them with me for comfort and support so I'm not totally alone.

Does anyone know how to go about finding women or homeless shelters that will let me take them with me?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh.... so sorry about your predicament! I can't imagine giving up my cats. My cats mean the world to me. I know exactly how you feel about them being there no matter what... Can you let them stay temporarily with a friend, relative, etc? I don't know many shelters that would allow animals... but it's possible. Have you googled it yet? I sure hope you do get to keep them!

I just found this: http://www.petsofthehomeless.org/blog/homeless.htm

Last edited by Soberpotamus; 07-15-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TeM

I have just recently rediscovered the joys of dog ownership. I had dogs growing up, but haven't had one in about 40 years. We had cats for a while, and I love cats, but they started spraying in the house, so we had to put them outside.

My daughter finally talked me into letting her get a miniature pinscher, and he owns us now. Even when my AW is in a vodka-induced stupor, I can take great comfort in having the little guy asleep in my lap. He's a joy to have around.

I know there are other pet lovers on the forum, and I'll bet some of them will have some specific advice to offer you.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is nothing sweeter than the companionship of a pet, especially when you are feeling down. My cat is always there for me. I hope you will be able to keep your cats with you. I took a look at that link that SoberJennie posted and it's definitely a good place to start...if you clink on the "Need Help" link, they have a list of homeless shelters that accept pets and links to other resources that are listed by state. Best of luck to you!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is a thread titled "Animals we love" in the gratitude section, lots of conversation and pictures of the fur-children.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tka View Post
Does anyone know how to go about finding women or homeless shelters that will let me take them with me?
While this suggestion does not magically enable you to keep your cats with you if you are without housing or in housing that does not allow your cats, it offers a potential bridge to get you through to times when your housing situation may have changed for the better to allow you to live with your cats:

Introduce yourself to some local cat rescues - look for ones where the people are rational and deal with reality. Tell them your circumstances. Maybe you could create a partnership where you get someone in their rescue chain to foster (i.e., house) your pets during any time that you do not have housing that would allow them. Perhaps you could even maintain a visitation through the courtesy of the foster home, and offer during those times to help with chores such as thorough weekly litterbox cleanings, washing cat dishes, doing catfood or litter shopping, etc. You could offer in return to pay the cats' expenses (and maybe even the expenses for one or more other foster cat(s) - remember in the rescuer's eyes the space and expenses that your cats take up is the same space of saving another cat from euthanasia, so if you provide MORE funding beyond your cats to help save ANOTHER life, they will be seeing the possibility to help ANOTHER cat destined for doom), do volunteer work for the rescue such as taking calls or screening applications or doing reference checks or doing evaluations at shelters for potential foster cats.

Rescues know that bad circumstances happen to good pet owners. Their goal is to provide the animals with long-term, committed homes. Your asking to provide this home during impossible circumstances shows you are not abandoning your pets but rather trying to find a way NOT to abandon them, even under circumstances beyond your control.

Do not place an ad on craigslist or other such place - it's the wild west and there is no way to know who you are dealing with. Go to registered real rescues with non-profit status - this is called a 501 C 3 status - ask if their organization is a 501 C 3 organization and if yes this will tell you they are likely a good candidate as rescue and not some shady organization.

There are solutions out there, if you look for help, and ask for help, in the right places, and are willing to balance the equation with what you could provide in return. You are always able to provide something.

Sending encouragement,

CLMI
Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spayed/neutered cats don't usually spray. I am willing to help anyone find low cost or even free spay or neutering for a cat or dog. Either IM me your state and county, or maybe send it to the mods and they can give me state and county but not tell me the user.

Please take the suggestion of reaching out to local cat organizations for help, but don't be offended if they can't do it. There are literally millions of feral and sheltered cats in the US. They have their hands quite full.

<3 <3 love the kitties!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have pets also and that's another reason why I didn't leave my AH a few years ago when I DID have an income. I refused to leave without them. Like my children, I made a committment to care for them. It's just really hard to find a rental place that will allow any animals. You *could* advertise on craigslist or something like that for a roommate that is pet friendly. That's what I've been doing.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pets are very therapeutic! I have dogs...is a big part of the reason why when debating between a rental and a home purchase, I went with the home purchase. The added expense was worth being able to keep my two neurotic dogs... their neuroses remind me no one is perfect and we are all lovable regardless! ; )

I think catlover has a great idea. People who foster and run rescues are a great resource! Another idea that popped into my head reading this is possible contacting your local nursing homes for a potential temporary stay. Lots of long-term care facilities use pets for the same reason...therapy and comfort...and might be able to accept some temporary visitors.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in the process of moving out. I just got an apartment and I'm paying extra for a small fenced yard for my "child"...my 3yr old pug. I would never leave without my puppy. He's a pain in the butt sometimes, but he's always happy to see me, snuggles me when I'm feeling sad, and forces me to get out of the house (even if it's just for a walk).

We help each other (although I just provide him food and shelter, he does all the hard work!)
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

tka Facebook has many pet owner/ formal vet shops/cat lovers groups so that would be a place to start... too bad we are not in the same city or I would gladly take care of them. I hope you find a place where you can keep them. You can get Softpaws Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats so they dont scratch furniture (may ease landlords fears). All the best to you and the cats.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a wonderful thread. I started dog-sitting an adorable little coodle 4 years ago. The first year I dog-sat her I was drunk. I remember taking her for walks when I could hardly walk myself. it is really embarrassing to say this.
Then I started recovery. I remember feeling so proud and happy to walk this little princess sober and steady.
I have recorded many memories with this wonderful little pooch who seems to have joined me in my recovery journey. The first year I was an angry dry drunk and didn't like her hopping up on my clean white pants after I came home from my AA meetings that I frankly didn't want to attend. Now...she can hop up on me anytime. I see the joy and love in this little dog and it is part of my recovery.
One guy said something in a meeting that just blew me away: the anger and criticism you feel towards others is just something you feel about yourself.
I love this little pooch more than ever and I am convinced she is a little instrument from my HP sent for my recovery.