stages of change

Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stages of change

- contemplation
- preparation
- action
- maintenance

There is a great article online at american family physician. Wish I knew how to post links w droid. Stages also include precontemplation& relapse
I knew a little about these stages, but now I find them fascinating& true. So, to my fellow info junkies, interested to hear your thoughts.
-peace
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

?

Which stage are you in?

Maintenance is a good one, once it gets rolling.

Kelly
Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Changing For Good by James Prochaska details those stages of change. I'm in the Action stage now.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought action. After reading the article, to be honest, im still in preparation. I've committed to 30 days sober. So I guess im trying it out.
I realize now from past behavior changes that haven't stuck that the stages often have to be reevaluated. I always just slipped into relapses and gave up. Im prepared to approach change differently now.
what stage are you, kelly?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yay, jennie, for action!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ceneri View Post
I thought action. After reading the article, to be honest, im still in preparation. I've committed to 30 days sober. So I guess im trying it out.
I realize now from past behavior changes that haven't stuck that the stages often have to be reevaluated. I always just slipped into relapses and gave up. Im prepared to approach change differently now.
what stage are you, kelly?
Ceneri, for years I was in prep stage. It was a huge cycle. Very discouraging... I slipped into relapses and gave up too. But, honestly... I can't say I ever truly committed for good until now. So, in all honesty I don't know that you could call those "relapses" because I wasn't even firmly decided in my mind to quit then. I guess it's all in perspective...
Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right here're is that last stage of relapse. Am in that now and struggling with self loathing and ambivalence about getting back to the action stage. This is so tough. Months are rolling by and I am getting worse, getting harder to control drinking and my sober days seem un real to me now.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Found the link: A 'Stages of Change' Approach to Helping Patients Change Behavior

Maintenance stage for me as far addiction goes. With regards to my mental illness, I'm most certainly in the action stage.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is cool stuff, very interesting. Joe & Charlie, who do lots of AA speaker CDs and a 12 step study guide, are famous for saying "we don't take step 1 in the rooms of AA, we take it in a bar room". I kind of agree with that and that goes along with Step 1 of change in the OP.

In fact from an AA perspective, here is how I correlate the OP with AAs 12 steps:

Change Step 1 - contemplation = AA Step 1
Change Step 2 - preparation = AA Steps 2 -3
Change Step 3 - action = AA Steps 4 thru 9
Change Step 4 - maintenance = AA steps 10 thru 12

In fact AAs steps 10 thru 12 are often called "maintenance steps".
Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zencat- thanks for posting link! Wishing you continued success, man!

Jennie- yes, prep is clearly a huge stage. I find it helpful to recognize& know there's more.

dgillz- excellent job matching to AA, article just touches on 12step programs, thanks!

Watson& Kelly- hope you're still with us at any stage.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ps to others- the article is long. Check out Table 1, the model, if nothing else. Good stuff!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the article link, Zencat. It was helpful for me to read back over the part about "recycling" through the stages... it's so true. I think people beat themselves up, think they've failed... or somehow their "program" has failed... or they "failed" to work their program... when in actuality, it's natural to go through these stages and fall back to a previous one... recycling through them. I know I did.

And... I am not perfect (darn, that was a hard lesson to learn...LOL), so I don't discount the idea that it might happen again... although, I'm very much of the belief that it's possible I will never allow myself to take another drink again. And I take full credit for that... for it's entirely my own responsibility and I do believe it's within my power to do so. Not forgetting to credit all the many people I meet along the way who are positive influences and great teachers.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great thread! I love the stages of change. It took many years before someone shared this with me.
SH