Notices

New member trying to quit

Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member trying to quit

Hey people, first time iv typed anything like this on any forum so here goes

I guess for the past 4/5 years iv been a pretty heavy drinker. I'd say 3 or 4 times a week if not more I would be drinking 8 large cans of lager or more. In the last year iv noticed myself hiding empty cans, full cans and making excuses for drinking.

I used to go sun-thurs without drinking for 7 months last summer as I was working and didnt want to be drinking around the landlord, that really stopped me boozing as he lived in the house.

My main problem is I suffer from social aniexty and have done for a long time. Was bullied when i was younger and I stopped hanging around with friends. Im hoping to move away from this area soon, Iv noticed living away in a new place really helps me.

At the moment im 4 days off the beer and this weekend is going to be a huge test for me, Iv never gone fri/saturday without drinking heavily in the past few years.

My main problem is agitation, when I wake up im usually ok but if I do anything that requires concentration (online poker/reading/playing video games) I get extremly tired and agitated and hot in the face. Its like im gagging for beers. As of late today has been the worst day. I have motivations, one is im a online poker playing whos been living semi professionally from profits for the past few years. Once again even after 1 hour of play i get extremly agitated/hot face even when winning.

Did anyone else experience extreme mental tireness/agitation/hot face after trying to kick the habit? thanks guys
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us.

I also began drinking to self-medicate anxiety and depression. In the end it ended up making everything so much worse.

Yes, I felt agitated when I stopped drinking and I had to figure out how to get through my days without alcohol. It's not easy but you can do it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The horrible anxiety from withdrawals would often send me back to the bottle. But I got thru it last time and have stayed sober for 19 months now. You can too.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi 'trying to quit now' I also use to spend a lot of time gambling on the internet. I use to enjoy playing poker and I was good at it! It started becoming agitating and stressful and I would loose my patience and move to BJ tables. I don't know ifyou think you have a gambling problem as well but I am tackling both a gambling problem and a drinking problem! Its not easy but it gets better. Keep coming onto this site there is a lot of support here which will help you through.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi tryingtoquitnow

Yeah I think anxiety and cravings are a problem for most of us, even if we didn't have anxiety before.

I know I came to depend on booze - when that was removed, everything got more difficult.

Have you seen anyone for your social anxiety? A Dr or a therapist?

Outside of professional help. I think most people find support helps a lot - you'll certainly find support here...and ideas on where to get face to face support too, if you decide you need it

It can be hard, but it's certainly possible to deal with our anxiety in healthier ways and and to stay sober.

Good to have you with us
D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-14-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cairns87 View Post
hi 'trying to quit now' I also use to spend a lot of time gambling on the internet. I use to enjoy playing poker and I was good at it! It started becoming agitating and stressful and I would loose my patience and move to BJ tables. I don't know ifyou think you have a gambling problem as well but I am tackling both a gambling problem and a drinking problem! Its not easy but it gets better. Keep coming onto this site there is a lot of support here which will help you through.
No I dont have a gambling problem as a I dont gamble Thanks for your comment
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi tryingtoquitnow

Yeah I think anxiety and cravings are a problem for most of us, even if we didn't have anxiety before.

I know I cam to depend on booze - when that was removed, everything got more difficult.

Have you seen anyone for your social anxiety? A Dr or a therapist?

Outside of professional help. I think most people find support helps a lot - you'll certainly find support here...and ideas on where to get face to face support too, if you decide you need it

It can be hard, but it's certainly possible to deal with our anxiety in healthier ways and and to stay sober.

Good to have you with us
D
Havent seen any doctor etc, going to try kick the booze for a few weeks and see if my mindset improves
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi 'tryingtoquit'

Welcome to the forums! Im a newbie too - just getting through my 3rd day sober.
You're doing great on 4 days...believe me I know exactly what you are going through.
Come on...we can do it!

Just a little question about the gambling...you say you play online poker but you don't gamble. Im a bit confused as I thought online poker was gambling.

Keep strong
Bathsheeba
Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I Love poker and play soo much better when not drinking, trying to 12 table on stars always a nightmare when drunk
Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, social anxiety definitely was a factor. In my case it was simply interacting on a social level with people. A few drinks made it easier.

Eventually it leads to a ration of ********. Hopefully you'll internalize that sooner than later. Good luck, and welcome.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You might find that the anxiety eventually decreases the longer you stay sober. Quitting drinking involves more than just quitting drinking. Often times the drinking is a way for us to deal with other issues, so the drinking is really a symptom and not the true problem. For me, the 12 step program of AA has helped me find ways to deal with the crap that sometimes comes my way in life.