Notices

Wished I were "normal" tonight...

Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wished I were "normal" tonight...

Tonight I dropped my little boy's friend off at home after an out of school club. It has been a glorious day here in the North East of England today and many people were having BBQ's in their gardens - including my Son's friends family.

As I was chatting to her I noticed an almost empty bottle of wine standing on the grass alongside 2 glasses. For the first time in almost 4 weeks I wished I were like other people and could enjoy the occassional glass :S

I heard a great quote from Robert Downey Jr which goes something like "I do sometimes think about having a glass of wine with dinner, then I remember I have plans for Christmas." I have been trying to bear this in mind all night.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But we're not just like a person with Type ll diabetes isn't "normal" but we can learn to live a thrive within our limitations. Myself I could never understand "normal" drinkers-why quit after one glass of wine, that's crazy. Instead of focusing on that bottle of wine and the glasses and thinking what you're missing give a nod to all your sobriety is giving you back.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep, longing to be normal. I has accecpted that I will never be 'normal' again, and I can NEVER let my guard down around alcohol.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by epskie View Post
I heard a great quote from Robert Downey Jr which goes something like "I do sometimes think about having a glass of wine with dinner, then I remember I have plans for Christmas." I have been trying to bear this in mind all night.
What a great quote! Thanks for sharing

PS...I am normal...normal for an alcoholic. lol
Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Espkie I dunno if you drank like me, but I never ever enjoyed 'the occasional glass'...I had two drink settings...'off' and 'guzzle'.

I dunno if I'm normal...but I'm happier this way

D
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! I had to add my opinion on this one because this is a topic I battled with myself until one day I realized.......I am a normal person, I'm just not a normal drinker. I have started treating each form of normal as two exclusively different things.

I have 252 days sober and I'm feeling more and more normal everyday.

J
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know whatcha mean, epskie, about seeing the booze. I went into the store and while waiting in the line to pay I saw a nice little cooler where single beers were sold. Ahhh...but didn't they look good on a warm evening...first thought is no one is looking, I am home alone, what will one do, I could have it drank before I even got home? HAHAHA Then my normal self slaps myself upside the head and says "What'd'ya nuts?"

I think 'normal' is over rated...what is normal to the average person? Everyone has issues, baggage, problems. I think normal is the perception of what you see in another person. And once you were walking in their shoes you may not want to be that normal anyway.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have never wanted to be 'normal', ie, like everybody else. I want my individuality and I like being different.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great quote. I am glad you are remembering it.

Little things will remind me of what I don't do anymore and they seem to appear unexpectedly out of the blue. When I am tempted I will talk myself out of it by reciting Robert Downing Jr's quote.

17 days sober.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First of all .... HI!

I don't know what normal is...and frankly do not want to be like everyone else...but I do understand the occasional wishing to be able to enjoy a glass or two. BUT... I just can't, and am glad that I have come to that realisation.

Well done on your sobriety so far, keep a hold of that and moving forward....it is so great living life sober.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, thanks for your replies - very helpful, each and every one. I think the popular opinion seems to be to embrace the individuality of being sober, so I will do that from now on.

I put my little boys to bed last night and we read together and I was thankful that I was doing it with a clear head; Downey Jrs quote did keep coming back to me - but hey anything that works, right?

Has anybody read 'No More Hangovers' by Allen Carr? It only takes a few hours to read but is quite empowering.

Just a quick question: it's my friend's Hen Party (bachelorette party for those of you over the water ) next Friday, none of my friends know about my sobriety, any tips from the wise?

Thanks again everybody
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't mind the title - these are some good tips for any social occasion:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I hear you. I have a friend who I always thought was an alcoholic, too but recently seems to have toned down his drinking and I find myself feeling jealous that he could manage it when I couldn't.

But I try to remind myself that my focus on alcohol is what makes me an alcoholic. I don't obsess about people's ability to eat shrimp, for example (something I don't like). Wow look at her eating shrimp. She can just eat 4 shrimp and then stop. I wish I was her with the shrimp. Does she have a sauce with it? shrimp, hmmm.

Doesn't quite have the same ring

So, it's just more of my alcoholic BS. I try to shush it because it doesn't add anything to my life.

And the fact is I am way more present at parties now that I'm drinking a coke or whatever.