Notices

Best sleep I've had in years!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Best sleep I've had in years!

So last night I slept for 8 straight hours. It's been at least 6-7 years since I've done this... but sober?? Couldn't even remember. Thought I would share my findings. Two of them are all natural herbs, one is an OTC that you can get from Costco.

Natural Herb that helps with anxiety during the day,
Full-Spectrum Korean Red Ginseng Root 400 Mg 90 Caps - Avail on Amazon.com for $2.39 a bottle.

For sleep,
With an empty stomach: Schiff Knock-Out Melatonin with Theanine & Valerian
Without an empty stomach: Kirkland Signature Nighttime sleep aid

The nice part about alternating the sleep aids are that you don't build up a tolerance and don't have to worry about your eating habits before bed. I like to eat whenever I'm hungry. Hope some of you can find this useful.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're doing ok psilguy.

Everybody should keep in mind tho whats worked for you may not work for anyone else.

I always people to check with their Dr because I know even something as seemingly benign as ginseng can be dangerous for some people, especially if you're on medication.

We generally don't allow medical advice/recommendations here for that reason, even on OTC stuff

D
Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe that OTC Valarian should not be taken for two weeks prior to any scheduled surgery. I cannot remember the particulars, but it may interact with the Anesthesia given and make it more powerful...if you have been taking it, you should tell the doctor at the time they schedule your surgery.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ETA

I'm a huge fan of herbs before drugs - I always hit the peppermint tea for fevers and tummy aches and chamomile to relax etc.

Some are pretty strong and can interact with other medicine/herbs - ie. folks shouldn't take valerian while on anti-depressants.

Things like licorice root and ginseng are stimulants so they aren't good for people with high blood pressure, are pregnant etc.

Like I said I'm a huge fan of herbs & nutrition as party of keeping healthy (both mind & body) - they just need to be researched...