Notices

Guess what... I found something that works (I think)

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guess what... I found something that works (I think)

So I'm on sober day 119, and today will be my 89th meeting in 89 days... so I'm at this point where I'm beyond the first 90 days sober (yay! they say that's the toughest... don't want to go through it again)... I'm approaching completing my 90 meetings in 90 days goal... I have a sponsor that I think is great - I like her, she gives me assignments to help work the steps, she listens to me, she reminds me that I need to work on my sobriety without being super harsh.

I'm currently "on" step 3, in that I was assigned to read the pages in the Big Book, say the step 3 prayer every day, answer some questions on paper... but I think I've really been working step 3 for about a month or so.

For some reason the last week or two I have been struggling. I keep hearing that when you are stuggling, that might mean that you're not turning things over to your higher power enough. And I think it's true. I haven't had a craving to drink, really, but I have had relapse dreams (I'm always mad at myself in them - in fact one day in my dream I told myself it was a dream, but then "accepted" that it was true and I would need to change my sobriety date - talk about confusing - took me a while to realize I hadn't relapsed when I woke up). I've had a hard time motivating myself on the weekends. Even when I get things accomplished (and I have gone to a meeting every day, at the very least), I end up taking naps, watching TV, whatever. I usually call my sponsor every day, and two times instead of calling I've texted her - that means I'm hiding.

For some reason I have not been saying the 3rd step prayer every day as directed... not been calling other supports...

But this morning I actually got on my knees to pray. All I did was say the serenity prayer and asked God to help me... and for some reason I felt more alert this morning than yesterday... less ashamed... I spent 10 minutes cleaning up my kitchen before I left for work and felt 10 times better.

I guess it just goes to show that following the program and doing what other people say to do pays off. It really works. And praying... I don't know if saying a prayer makes God reach down and bless me... or if it centers me enough to motivate myself... but either way it's never hurt me. I'm going to keep doing it.

I'm a little nervous about finishing up my 90 in 90... but I have a plan (5 meetings a week - Tues, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun). If I need to go on a Monday, I can always go.

Thank you all for being here when I need to sneak in a little recovery reading while I'm at work... connect when I don't feel strong enough to talk to someone face-to-face... Whether you have 5000 days sober or 0, it helps me to read your stories.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that recovery takes work every day. Though I am not an AA person, I do spend time every day on things that work for my recovery.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Theatre-

I also did 90 in 90 (and a four month outpatient therapy) and I remember when I was about to complete it, I was a bit nervous as to what's next.

You can always do another 90 in 90

...but seriously, if you're on step 3, then you're about to do step 4 and that is going to put you on a awesome path. Step 4 might not feel good, but it's vital to getting on with the rest of the steps.

I also remember when prayer started to take on a new meaning in my life. It's a wonderful experience.

Keep up the good work! (and please keep us posted on your progress)

Side-by-side we go.

Kjell~
Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i know it to be a truth that prayer works.
god will always help us when we ask him.
jesus said you can ask anything of me and i will help you
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I know the good feeling of finding something that works. Although not an AAer myself, finding the right fit for my recovery needs has benefited me beyond my wildest dreams.