Notices

3 Weeks and Sleeping All The Time

Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ETA

3 Weeks and Sleeping All The Time

Ugh - I'm so tired. I got home from work today and layed down on the couch for a "few minutes" - slept for 4 hours.

I really want to start running, lose some weight but I have NO energy. I'm not even able to keep up with my chores let alone do new stuff.

I have heard a bunch of folks talk about being very sleepy when quitting drinking - my question is that could it be that still after 3 weeks? Or is it most likely something else?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I slept a lot during the first few months. A combination of
  1. Low Energy
  2. Uncertainty of what to do with myself
  3. Fear of drinking out of old habit
  4. Boredom

I'd come home from work, and just flop on the bed. Even at work, i was lethargic (that was the worst/scariest part). I averaged about 9-10 hours of sleep a night. I felt like grandpa. I did not experience what others have, which was instant energy and pink cloud happiness. I went through a period of mourning, and it felt like i was just dumped by someone i loved.
But my energy level is back up now, and i'm getting some spunk back.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It could be a little depression as well. We alcoholics have created and lived in an intimate and meaningful relationship with our drug and now we're cutting it lose. And remember, we didn't get to be where we are as alcoholics overnight. Recovery--physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually--takes time and lots of it. Of course we're all different. When I quit I could barely sleep for weeks. I think I had skin rash from tossing and turning all night, every night. Hang in there, things change. Our nature is to right ourselves eventually.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ETA

I realize I could have it much worse. I just am trying to remain excited about my "new life" but it's tough when I don't do anything but eat and sleep. You may be right about a bit of depression/mourning.

I'm already on 2 different kinds of anti-depressants and have an appointment with the doctor this week. I would like to talk to the doc abouto this but I have never told him that I have this problem. I don't really have a lot of trust for psychiatrists - like if I tell the truth and slip up they will take my kids away... I have never admitted to my thoughts of suicide which, at times, have been very scary.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I felt great after the first few days then in the dumps, then better again, its been up and down like that for a while.

I actualy overslept this morning, I feel as if my moods and energy have been on this wave, at first the spikes were off the charts but there starting to level out a lot more at nearly 5 months, still out of wack but Im dealing with them a lot better now, it does get better.

I can totaly relate to the long naps when I only wanted 30 minutes, and now here it is nearly midnight and Im wide awake.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea I kept the "secret" from my doctor for a long time, shame I guess. Eventually I realized this is nuts. I wouldn't keep from him that I was having back pains or migraines or whatever, there'd be no point in being doctored. Eventually I fessed up and it led to some changes in how I (including the alcoholic I) was being treated. Yea I've ben treated for depression and anxiety disorder and PTSD (speak about being screwed up :-) ) and yea I've had scarey thoughts. And I wasn't implying that not sleeping is worse than oversleeping, don't get me wrong friend.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Myself, I either sleep too much, or not enough. Not sleeping enough can present huge problems for me. I guess if you're going to be on either end of the spectrum, the one you're on seems to be the way to go. After a while it will subside. You can count on that much.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I wasn't implying that not sleeping is worse than oversleeping, don't get me wrong friend.
I certainly didn't take it that way. In truth I would think not sleeping is worse. I have had insomnia a few times and it was horrible.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ETA View Post
I certainly didn't take it that way. In truth I would think not sleeping is worse. I have had insomnia a few times and it was horrible.
I'd say not sleeping is worse as well. Tossing and turning all night can be extremely frustrating. Your energy levels will return to normal. Heck, from what I've noticed, your energy levels will be better than ever! Just give time.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like Squizz, had the toughest time trying to get enough sleep. I've read vitamin C is usually a common defiency, so started in with plenty of citrus along with a lot of veggies and brown rice. Also heard sugar can be a real big energy zapper.

Hopefully your body just needs the extra rest now, as it's readjusting.

All that alcohol put such a strain on me, it took a while.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Hopefully your body just needs the extra rest now, as it's readjusting.

All that alcohol put such a strain on me, it took a while.
I was a binge drinker - I was starting to binge most nights though. I might have been more physically addicted than I thought - I had noticed my hands shaking almost all the time and thought it was my anti-depressants - I realized that the shaking has completely stopped. Maybe the sleep things is more readjusting.

Vitamin C is good for everything.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

. I might have been more physically addicted than I thought - I had noticed my hands shaking almost all the time and thought it was my anti-depressants - I realized that the shaking has completely stopped..
It's (tragically) funny that I reasoned my shaking hands were from coffee,
......so I quit drinking coffee !?!

Several months later, bit the bullet.
......now mine's completely stopped too !
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ETA

Well now I'm pretty wide awake at 2 am... sigh...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well now I'm pretty wide awake at 2 am... sigh...
That makes two of us!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im up, its 4:30 AM, I always just read a little then Im back to sleep in about 30 mins, somtimes it takes an hour.

Ive learnd to enjoy this quiet time but it does make for a groggy morning.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have 3 weeks today and am experiencing the same thing....I'm just glad the "not sleeping" phase is over..This too shall pass
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm a little over a month and pretty fatigued all of a sudden after a good few weeks of energy. Maybe that energy was "fake" - or just sort of euphoric and now the real physical healing starts. I'm ok with it. And I love that natural sleep!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ETA

I told my doctor about quitting drinking and she thought it very likely that it's connected to how tired I have been.

She also said that it can take up to a year for your body to adjust to the change.

She was very supportive and didn't ask any questions. She knew a whole lot about local AA people, groups and meetings - it almost seemed like she knew from from a personal perspective - not professional.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ETA

I do hope it passes soon. Right now all I really want is to eat sorbet and nap for a few weeks...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Struggling

Never been on one of these sites before but I need some support today.

Here I am. Day 5 without drinking. First time I've gone this long in 22 years. I drink about 12-14 beers a day. I've had high blood pressure for years (I smoke too, although day 5 of quitting that too with the help of ecigarettes - a godsend) and I came down with gout 6 days ago. Decided that is my wake up call. I can hardly walk from the pain in my foot, but I keep telling myself it is a sign I have to get my life under control.

All's I've been drinking is cherry juice and water but man, today is really hard. I woke up wanting to drink and I used to never do that.

I really want to succeed and but I'm already starting to rationalize drinking today. damnit, so disappointed in myself.