Notices

Diet Coke - Substituting Addictions... Seriously?!?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diet Coke - Substituting Addictions... Seriously?!?

I seriously think I may becoming psychologically addicted to diet drinks.

This morning I nearly panicked when I thought I was out... then I saw the half empty bottle and my heart slowed down its beating... it was just like with WINE! What is going on here?? Am I substituting addictions, and if so... is it impeding my recovery?

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions please...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my opinion - yes, to some degree. Early recovery is fraught with emotions, anxieties and the need for 'comfort blankets'. I had it when I used to run out of soft drinks too. It was the fear that I would pick up alcohol if I didn't have at least something in my hand. You'll find as time goes by, that the nightly habit of having something in a glass - anything - will become less important. I can go all day now without panicking that I didn't have a drink to hand.

Be careful with the diet drinks - they are caffeinated, so you CAN get addicted to those, and also add to your anxiety levels (caffeine has been proven to make people anxious, or bump up symptoms of pre-exsiting anxiety). And they are horrific for your teeth!!! How about sparkling water, with a slice of lemon? I used to think it was awful stuff with no flavor, but I've gotten used to it now
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been drinking club soda with lemon and lime slices some... it's good, just got stuck on the diet coke for some reason. I'd like to switch to that entirely. It does help... the carbonation and the fact there's no caffeine or aspartame makes me feel much better about it!

I'm wondering if it's about "control"... since I can't alter or "control" my emotional state with alcohol, I'm doing it with caffeine? I did use diet drinks during my "off" times... when I wasn't drinking or when I was nursing a hangover. So, it would be up and down with the alcohol and then the caffeine. It could be a combination of psychological and physiological... and a perceived "control" over things.

Thanks newwings!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely, I hear you. I still need to quit cigarettes, which is becoming more pressing to me as I'm definitely still hanging on to the addictive side of my personality. I want to get rid of that..

I agree with you about the control aspect of things. I'm glad you are feeling very self aware, particularly in the early stages of recovery, but don't get yourself hung up on the if's what's and when's of the diet drinks. Treat yourself gently. I still drink a couple of strong espresso's daily. If I noticed that going up, I'd certainly feel I'd have to question why..but at the end of the day, I'm NOT DRINKING ALCOHOL. That's pretty much all I am focussed on right now. I don't want to spend my whole life trying to deny myself certain things though, it's important to me to enjoy the freedom I have now. I've earned my coffee. Cigarettes? Nah..time for them to go.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We alcoholics ARE compulsive...

Zube
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get a bit panicky if there's no ice-cream in the house.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I get a bit panicky if there's no ice-cream in the house.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nature abhors a vaccum. One thing goes away something else takes its place. Being aware and asking the question is a giant step. Keep a handle on your alcohol, get a handle on your diet drinks, be prepared for something else popping up, that's ok. Its all about balance and as alcoholics and addicts we've been out of balance so long we're still a bit shakey. Hang in their, self righting mechanisms will kick in with time and awareness.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In the first three or four months after I quit, I was eating chocolate/other sweets like there was no tomorrow. And I virtually NEVER ate sweets prior to then. I'm closing in on six months sober now, and I'm definitely having less sugar cravings than before, although I do treat myself to a Ben and Jerry's fix on the weekend.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to admit, diet coke is my choice of beverage, oh yes, I get 2 little bottles, the guy at the convenient store, asked me if I want a straw with that, he was being funny but it hit a nerve! I have a strong feeling it does not help with my anxiety, but gosh I am doing so much better than I was with alcohol so I am going to give myself a little break and introduce water more and more as I continue on this journey.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been through periods where I got panicky when I was done to my last bottle of pepsi...I think that addiction predates most of my others...

I had a long range plan to substitute sparkling water for the cola and I did that...

I try not to be a fanatic about anything, but I do drink far less cola these days...and I don't freak out if I'm down to my last bottle

D
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get a bit panicky when my internet goes out.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I get a bit panicky when my internet goes out.
Me too!! I think it's a form of addiction for this day and age.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I meant to say two litre Bottles not two little bottles hahahah
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd much rather be addicted to diet soda than alcohol. At least you're not going to get a DUI for drinking too much soda. We fret sometimes, it's part of the recovery process. I'm sure someone, somewhere would have a problem with it. But those are the people who's advice I tend to take with a grain of salt.

If diet soda is your biggest problem, I'd say you're doing just fine. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder projected from wine to diet coke!

I know what you mean--I don't do Diet Coke, never developed a taste for the sweetner, and dang it's really, really bad for you....

But I was the same way with ice cream for a long time after i stopped....which is HORRIBLE for you! So I hear ya.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I seriously think I may becoming psychologically addicted to diet drinks.

This morning I nearly panicked when I thought I was out... then I saw the half empty bottle and my heart slowed down its beating... it was just like with WINE! What is going on here?? Am I substituting addictions, and if so... is it impeding my recovery?

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions please...
Never heard of anyone crashing their car from drinking too much.
Drinking a lot of pop in early recovery is okay.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't feel bad. I had two cups of coffee and three cigars today. I think I'm compensating...

- nm1212
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I with Anna on the ice cream craziness

Just last night i went to the store for my butter pecan fix and they were out

I had to run to another store to come home and relax aaahhh.

good job with the water keep on doin what your doin Jenny
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
I'd much rather be addicted to diet soda than alcohol. At least you're not going to get a DUI for drinking too much soda. We fret sometimes, it's part of the recovery process. I'm sure someone, somewhere would have a problem with it. But those are the people who's advice I tend to take with a grain of salt.

If diet soda is your biggest problem, I'd say you're doing just fine. Keep up the good work!
Well put squizz. I've been sober for quite some time now but I'll be damned if the soda/coffee are on the way out...I drank a ton of coffee Saturday early a.m. and headed out to run errands, and drank a 20oz Pepsi Max on the road. Was laughin at myslef how friggen wired I was in the stores and mall....I think I was striking convo with a mannequins. Compared to slurring my speech and spilling my beer on peoples shoes at a x-mas party or being miserably hungover at work I'll take it.