Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What kind of alcoholic are/were you and what happened to your health because of it?

Notices

What kind of alcoholic are/were you and what happened to your health because of it?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm sure that's not the right way to phrase it. Basically, how much did/do you drink, how often and for how long and what kind of health problems did/do you suffer because of it?

I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks and I'm dreading it. I've been trying to read up online about the long and short-term and permanent effects of drinking. It's really hard to get information because they use terms like "heavy drinking," or "chronic" or "social drinking," and I'm never sure if the definitions are the same from site to site, and I have a feeling that most places will list, like, the worst case medical conditions. I was hoping I could get some anecdotes from people about their experiences and health problems.

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section. I didn't really know where to go and thought I'd start here.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Looking up effects can make you a hypochondriac. You will feel dead before you even get to the doctor. Best thing to do is look up healthy alternatives and how to make yourself feel better. Also looking up sprirtual help will help you to keep on track.
At least, that's what I did.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rado,
Everyone is so very different. I don't think you can guage what type of health problems you may or may not experience based upon other people's drinking histories. The best thing to do is go to your doctor and be completely honest about your drinking, about any physical symptoms you are experiencing, etc. He or she will take it from there.

My opinion is that you are going to drive yourself nuts by searching the internet and asking for case histories. None of the things others describe may apply to you and you will be worried for naught. If you are really concerned, don't wait two weeks. See if you can get an earlier appointment with your doctor.
Susan
Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL EmeraldRose...as Dee says "do not look up Dr. Google"...been there done that. Truth be it my health is shot and after 9 years of not drinking I went out one day with a six pack; could only drink 4 beers...the entire time from the very first drink...I was very very ill.

to SR. Glad you are here. That is good you are going to the doctor and have the resources to do so.

All my prayers for good results for you.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand, but the problem is that I'm already freaked out. I'm trying to get not freaked out by, hopefully, hearing some real life stories instead of reading about the one guy whose liver exploded or something. I know I shouldn't have looked it up in the first place but now that I have...
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rado you might go look at the post it page on quitting drinking. Everyone does a pretty good job of discussing how much they drank and what AW was like for them. Also, you might ask in another way, perhaps "How much were you drinking when you stopped drinking" possibly another one, "what health issues do you have that are a result of your drinking"

Also, in the post it about what to expect when stopping drinking, someone posted a list that tells you that if you have been drinking such and such amount of alcohol then you should get medical advice before stopping.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, I was sure my liver was shot and I was a Type II diabetic who was going to have my feet cut off. I was afraid to go to the doctor because I feared finding out but my imagination was far worse than not knowing the truth. I faced the doctor several months ago and I still have my feet, I just need to be careful of where they might lead me. Just think of the doctor visit as another step in your recovery and long term health.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you are experiencing health problems currently can you go earlier than your original appointment or maybe to help ease your stress go earlier than originally scheduled? I do understand were you are coming from...it is good you came here to share, thank you.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will do that. Thanks, Scrappy. And thanks to everyone else who answered. Just hearing that "everyone is different," makes me feel a little more at ease. My internet search just made me think that everyone who drinks gets cancer and brain damage and it was really freaking me out a bit.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just to give you a little background, Rado, my friends jokingly call me Mrs. Enclyclopedia Brittanica because I am a research nerd. For what it's worth, most of the research I have done is mostly positive becaue the brain and liver are two organs that have remarkable healing abilities. If you have not stopped drinking I urge you to do so. The sooner you do, the quicker your body can heal itself. However, if you have not quit drinking, there are things you can do. From what I have read, almost all alcoholics are deficient in all of the B vitamins, A vitamins, C vitamins and minerals. So, you can get a good multivitamin and suppliment your diet. It is supposed to help reduce cravings for alcohol as well. You haven't really said what your health issues are, but there are some that do come to mind. If there is no cirrocis (sp) and no korsekopf (sp) then most things seem to mend over time. Neuropathy is an issues sometimes, but not heard of as much without something else going on like diabetes. Sooooo take that for whatever it's worth because it is definately not medical advice. I am not a doctor and I don't play one on tv. LOL
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate that recoverywfaith. I'm not experiencing any serious health problems. I think I have some cortisol issues--I have like every symptom...in spades--but it's my understanding that they clear up if you take care of yourself, but it's on the list for my doctor. Nothing immediate though or even anything else besides the cortisol, at least nothing that I know of, that's what I'm scared of: not knowing, like MyCool. It's all those what if's.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Scrappy, yeah, I've recently stopped drinking. I'm working on meditation and supplements to reduce stress levels, like a multi-vitamin and some other things. I read that cortisol levels in alcohol dependents can stay elevated even after not drinking. I'm hoping the doc will be able to help with this. I hope this is one of those things that can repair itself.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, if if makes you feel any better, I know quite a few alcoholics. Some very, very severe. And all but the most severe have not had any long lasting health issues. The most severe had to be placed in a medical come to get through AW as he had multiple detox throughout his 60 some odd years. Did not think he would come back from it, but he did. The human body is pretty remarkable. Most of the bad is our creative minds working overtime on the unknown.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"The confirmation that cortisol does, indeed, remain elevated throughout the drinking cycle suggests that it may be important to decrease cortisol levels during both chronic drinking and withdrawal. This suggestion is tentative, however, as it has not yet been shown that it is cortisol itself that is responsible for the medical and psychiatric problems associated with heavy drinking. Future studies should explore the relationship between elevated levels of cortisol during intoxication and withdrawal and the medical and psychiatric consequences of drinking, which may include sleep disruption, cognitive deficits, diabetes, and mood disturbances."

Even the experts are tenative....they don't know either
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Scrappy, that last one made me laugh. Thank you. My therapist actually gave me homework to watch comedies and laugh so I'm going to tell him that you helped out with that.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
In Recovery

From the ages:
17-24 average drinking
Diagnosed at 24 with Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer, not sure if the alcohol had anything to do with it...
At 30 I was up to 12-15 beers a day, big fan of whiskey too... drank endless amounts of Red Bull & Jagers,
At 34 I got Appendicitis which Im sure the heavy partying prior to this contributed.
At 35 I came down with Pancreatitus from too much alcohol over the course of a weekend.
About 6 months ago while drinking and mixing pills (over 2-3 weeks) once I got off my binge I noticed the ends of most of my toes are numb.
I'm 38 now. See a trend there?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, psilyguy. I hope you're 38 and sober now and healthy.

Although, and this was the problem I ran into when I was looking up things online, what's "average drinking?" I drank once in high school and worked at a bar in college and only drank maybe two or three drinks a week at most so "average drinking from 17-24 for me was "hardly at all." It's not really important to the overall story. It's pretty clear that yours was/is not a good outcome. I do sincerely hope you're doing better now.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I am just starting sobriety. I have 2 choices, drink, go to jail and lose my house and family, and die, or stay sober. Aside from the health issues my last DUI cost me around $75k adding in multiple factors. Not worth it anymore.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're making a choice and that was my first step. I had to decide that it wasn't worth it too. I also realized that, personally, my drinking started as a way to fix my problems and then it became my problem. I had to realize that fixing my problem came to mean, "not drinking." Then I had to work on it. I tried and started and tried and started and felt guilty about the relapses and then drank to not feel guilty. But, it's so worth it to make that first step. When you get sober you start to think about all the parts of your life that you missed. The good parts. You remember that you couldn't even enjoy the good parts before because your drinking and fear of getting caught and guilt about drinking made you forget that you were supposed to be having fun.

Good luck. I'm happy for you. This is a good step.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Best of luck to you as well. I can clearly point to every major problem Ive had and see that alcohol was a factor to the decision I made.