Notices

I'm a newbie and hate mornings anyone else feel this way?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool I'm a newbie and hate mornings anyone else feel this way?

I am 8 days sober today and have felt like crap every single morning so far! I feel worse in the mornings than I did when drinking? Anyone else feel bad in the morning?

I have insomnia, but that appears to be something all experience to some degree. But I always feel tired, worn out and irratable in the mornings.

Other than diarrhea and sweats, I felt fine in the mornings when drinking (not tired, foggy and irratable like I do now). My normal patterns were 4-6 six beers at lunchtime and then at least that much after work.

So far, after work is my worst craving time. I guess boredome was a big part of my drinking because I find myself trying to occupy myself. I have started back working out, but that is usually at lunch time or afterwork. So around 8pm or so is when I am most bored.

I seem to feel hungry all the time now, but have been watching my caloric intake. However, I have gained 5 pounds in the last 8 days. Is this normal?

Sorry to be so "windy" on here but have a lot going on in my head
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wonder if you have talked to your dr? Your fatigue could be caused by many things and the only way to know for sure is to check with your dr.

I think it's typical to be hungrier in early recovery.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It got better for me, those first 3 weeks for me my body was all over the place. I was tired, hungry, couldn't sleep and just an all around mess. Have patience with it and give yourself time to heal and recover.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scrappy
Welcome to SR

It took a while for my body and mind to recover for sure - I'd drunk for 20 years...it takes time to return to balance....

Like you I'd come to accept things like diarrhea and sweats as 'feeling fine' when drinking....stick with your goal of staying sober and you should soon really start feeling fine

Like Anna says - if you're concerned maybe a Dr's opinion wouldn't hurt?

D
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Scrappy, mornings I'll wake up heavy as lead... from a really deep sleep. I don't remember ever feeling so lethargic and heavy. What helps me is to lie there for a few minutes... get my eyes to open and focus. I'll grab my iPhone and read email. That usually wakes me up. I'll take several deep breaths and try to relax... not just jump straight out of bed from that heavy, deep sleep. This all seems to help.

What I have noticed is that I need more sleep... I think our body's internal organs are healing from the inside out... cellular level. We simply need more rest. And water. And good nutrition.

If you feel tired and irritable, try to take a 30 min nap if you can during the day. Also, add in walking in the evenings before or after dinner... you WILL sleep better!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey all, thanks. I have not talked to my M.D. this year. I tried to get sober last year but only lasted a month. I didn't take any of the Ativan that he gave me last year and that was a mistake. This time I took the Ativan for 4 days but have stopped now because I don't want to get dependent on it.

SoberJennie, you have described how I feel in the mornings exactly! I feel like my body is too heavy and my brain isn't working. When I leave for work I feel like I won't be able to do my job. But, I must say that within an hour or so I do usually feel better.

Funny how someone else can show you your "stinkin thinkin." I had accepted stomach issues and sweats as just a normal everyday thing. Wow.