Notices

My dad is a crack addict... what should I do?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question My dad is a crack addict... what should I do?

Hello! I am 18 years old, and sick of my mom being pushed around by my crack addict father.

I have had a lot of guidance in the past years. My mom, some book I read 3 years ago, and even a visit to a rehab my dad once attended. They all helped me realize some important things, but most importantly, I learned that there is virtually NOTHING I can do to help him get over his addiction.

God only knows how long he has been doing crack, or at least thats what I'm told. I have known for about 4 years ago, I believe. My mom knew for a few years before that.

Right now, my mom (54 years old) claims that she is working on moving out and getting her own apartment, which I fully support, with all of my might. I'm not really sure if that is her real plan of action though, because I can't even imagine how TERRIBLY hard it would be to separate yourself from your husband that you have been married to for more than half of your entire life.

My relationship with my dad has NEVER been strong, which makes everying even more confusing here. We hardly ever talk about anything going on in my life, he never asks, and he doesn't care. I told him that it bothered me that we don't talk about anything deeper than the same old jokes that he always, ALWAYS makes, and he straight up told me, to my face, that he doesn't really care. I wasn't too shocked, because as I sid before, we were never that close.

The reason for this blog, is that I would LOVE if I could get advice from ANYONE about what I should do to help my mother, not my dad. Or if anyone could please direct me to where I could get professional help that would be amazing too.

Thank you SO much for your time, to anyone who actually reads this long thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

read through the Friends and Family forums...there is a section for substance abuse family members...lots of people will respond to you.

This is a wonderful forum to get support and help, it's very active.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

As Fandy said, check out the F & F forums and I hope you can find some peace in your life.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR crackhelp
I'm sorry for your situation. I hope you'll check out the FF forums as well

D