Notices

Sorry, little bit of help please? :/

Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry, little bit of help please? :/

day 16, and because of "time of the month" (lol) I've been really really irritable. here's the bad part - I've just had a couple of whiskeys and it's calmed me down a hell of a lot, but I really really don't want to have any more. I love being sober, I have no idea why i'm doing this, but I really need to leave it at a couple. Not sure what i'm asking for really, maybe just a bit of a telling off?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that, until I changed what I did, I did the same things GITG.

There's lots of ways to calm down that don't involve alcohol or drugs...they may take a bit of research and implementation tho - things like meditation, breathing exercises, gentle exercise, a new hobby...

Tomorrow I'd look at what you've been doing til now in your recovery, look at what happened, look at your support and think about what you might add.

Look at this as a learning experience.

& most importantly right now - put the bottle down and dump the rest.

D
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Goatinthegarden View Post
I have no idea why i'm doing this, but I really need to leave it at a couple. Not sure what i'm asking for really, maybe just a bit of a telling off?
A telling off? I can accommodate you. You are doing this because you looked for an excuse to drink and you found it. Have you also convinced yourself that you can moderate your intake?

If you want to drink, it's easy. You drink. If you want to be sober it usually takes more than just stopping. Are you working towards recovery? Or just staving off the next drink?

Choose recovery.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As doggonecarl said If you want to be sober it usually takes more than just stopping.

Or, put another way . . .

You stopped drinking and got the monkey off your back, but the circus is still in town.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, have had a coffee and thankfully am not drunk like I thought I'd be, so I'll just eat food until i feel normal again. This way I get to wake up tomorrow morning not hating myself
Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I relapsed two weeks into my first attempt to quit. Drank to quiet the insistent voices in my head that said drink, don't drink, drink. So I did. Didn't enjoy it. Didn't get drunk. It did shut the voices up, but I knew they would return and I had to deal with things differently. So it was back to Day 1. But this time I was committed to recovery. And here I am, ten months later, wishing the same for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, stopping is the beginning.

Learning how to deal with life and all the ups and downs is the hard part of recovery. I know that you can find healthy ways to deal with emotions.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Goatinthegarden, I won't tell you off lol you've got to get into the mind set that drinking is NEVER an option if you want to remain sober. Not the time of the month, not because your having a rough day, not for any reason. EVER

Find something else to rely on. Go for a walk, take a nice bubble bath, go to a meeting. It's up to you to find your own solution. We can suggest and give support, but the DOING comes from within yourself.

Best Wishes To You!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup yup, all good advice, thanks guys, it was weird, it was kind of paradoxical, I wanted to drink and I didn't at the same time. I am so glad I left it at that, and it was probably a miracle that I was able to. Hopefully that's my lesson learned for a good while
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if I get the urges or I am in a bad mood, I try to walk it off nowadays. Just put on my shoes and walk around the block
Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get that "want to drink" "want not to drink" paradox. It's awful--not least because the easier route is just to drink so you don't have to think about it anymore. But then you return to "want not to drink." So stay there.

A few weeks ago, during my relapse "circus," someone said that it only takes maybe five or ten minutes to overcome an urge. So make yourself a deal, if you hit a big trigger, wait 30 minutes before DECIDING whether to act on it. Put the decision off and do something in the meantime. If you do that enough you will overcome this.

And get all the alcohol out of the house. All of it. No matter what.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

so what are you going to do today GITG ?

D