Notices

The past is coming back to haunt me

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The past is coming back to haunt me

Well, I've been back in college for 5 weeks now and as of now it looks like I will pass both of my classes and graduate...finally

Since being back, I have had nothing to drink! 6 months sober this upcoming tuesday!

Anyway, I've been looking for a job. I have a "head hunter" trying to place me with a company...any company. If he get's me a job, then the company that hires me pays him. You know the routine.

Anyway, today he finally gave a presentation of me to a client of his. Turns out, it was a company that did on campus recruiting in the fall semester. I signed up for an interview, and I was a no show. So needless to say that company doesn't view me in a very bright light and I likely won't land an interview. I also feel bad because I think I may have made the head hunter guy look bad.

What is to blame? Well, I'll give you one guess. My drinking problem strikes again! I was too hungover/anxious/tired to roll out of bed to go to a damn interview. Now, it's making me look like a low life. If only they understood. If only they knew I am a completely different person now...

I have only myself to blame. And I'm glad those days are all over with. It's just so FRUSTRATING that I've been doing everything right since i quit drinking, but my fallacies from back then show up when i least expect it. Damn it!

Lesson learned.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to have this is a footer-

"Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him." Aldous Huxley

I got a 2nd offense DUI. It was dismissed. Then the DA decided to appeal it. So one could say it has come back to haunt me, or one could say I was very fortunate not to hurt anybody, it was one of the catalyst's in terms of me getting sober, and I learned from that experience.

Try to turn that situation into a positive rather than viewing all the negatives. I wouldn't worry about trying to explain your situation to the company - they have no vested interest in you but the recruiter is somebody I would 'consider' explaining my situation to if you feel comfortable doing so.

Regardless of whether you decide to talk to the recruiter or not, many people don't ever get sober. If that's some of the worst repercussions from your drinking I'd say you are pretty lucky- alot of us go down a lot further....

Besides, you're sober? If you had woken up that day, got the job somehow and never got sober- would you better off than you are now? I would say that's not even comparing apples to apples!

Congrats on 5.9 months - hope to see you post at 6!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
I used to have this is a footer-

"Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him." Aldous Huxley

I got a 2nd offense DUI. It was dismissed. Then the DA decided to appeal it. So one could say it has come back to haunt me, or one could say I was very fortunate not to hurt anybody, it was one of the catalyst's in terms of me getting sober, and I learned from that experience.

Try to turn that situation into a positive rather than viewing all the negatives. I wouldn't worry about trying to explain your situation to the company - they have no vested interest in you but the recruiter is somebody I would 'consider' explaining my situation to if you feel comfortable doing so.

Regardless of whether you decide to talk to the recruiter or not, many people don't ever get sober. If that's some of the worst repercussions from your drinking I'd say you are pretty lucky- alot of us go down a lot further....

Besides, you're sober? If you had woken up that day, got the job somehow and never got sober- would you better off than you are now? I would say that's not even comparing apples to apples!

Congrats on 5.9 months - hope to see you post at 6!
Well, I know this company doesn't need to know about my old problem...and I'm sure they don't care. They don't want to hear from me anyway. As for the recruiter guy, yeah...I told him. He didn't seem to think much about it, which is fine. He just wants to get me a job so he gets a paycheck.

I'm just really kicking myself right now. It's such a dog crap economy and I'm not doing anything to make things harder...but the old me is.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you the best of luck whatever happens Refrigerator
congrats on the upcoming 6 months too!

D
Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months sober, there will be other interviews.

I think you probably interviewed better last fall by not showing up, then by showing up hungover.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand it's disappointing and frustrating, but the best thing is to keep on job searching and continue to work on your recovery. Good for you with 6 months sober!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna...continue on job search...and continue being sober. Congrats on college and on your sobriety...that is a wonderful achievement.