Progress report... more good news!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Progress report... more good news!

So just thought I would share a significant event that happened this past weekend...

My SO (significant other) and I have been dating about 13 months now and in that time I have been over to his mom and her husband's place numerous times for dinner and I have also been to his dad and his dad's gf's place twice for dinner.

Last week it was my SO's birthday (55!!) and I thought I would have ALL of his parents over for dinner to my place for a birthday celebration and to show them some appreciation for their hospitality over the past year.

Luckily his mom and dad are still on friendly terms and I guess they all get together at least once or twice a year... so his dad and gf picked up his mom and hubby and they all came over together (it's about a 30 minute drive to my place from theirs).

And I have to say it went exceptionally well! I'm always a nervous wreck when I'm hosting. I always think about what could go wrong... food burnt or undercooked, lack of conversation... blah blah... it's all in my head really, I've never had any disasters... but I still always feel nervous! Especially hosting my SO's parents!!!

But we had steak and baked potato on the BBQ, also some corn on the cob and a tomato bocconcini salad, as well as some fried onions and mushrooms for the steak. Finished with some baked fruit and whipping cream over mini angel food cups. Everyone loved it! Phew...

One odd thing I find is that all of his parents drink in front of him... They had wine and beer. My SO opened the bottle of wine and the cans of beer and poured them for his folks... and I'm happy to say that there was not even a twinge of worry on my part that he would be tempted to drink... it's a pretty good feeling actually.

Anyway just wanted to share and say what a relief that it's over! If I'm lucky I won't have to host them for another year, lol!

Another thing I discovered, even though I knew his dad and his gf had a pretty significant age gap, I didn't realize how large it actually was! I had thought that his dad was 77 or 78 and that his gf was around 50 ish... BUT turns out she is only 43! So there is a 35 year age gap between his dad and his gf, but they have been together over 15 years now... the gap between me and my SO is only 21 years... so maybe we've got a chance... who knows? As long as we're all happy, right?

Take care all,

T
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you, tatertot, and am delighted the gathering went well for all! Check in more often if you can!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Tatertot!

Good to hear that things are going so well!

I really like that his parents can be together. That speaks volumes. As far as the drinking around him goes, with myself....I quit drinking 6 years ago, have no interest, desire, inclination to have a drink. When it's over, it's over.

Alls good and yes, say hi more often and keep the good news coming.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But we had steak and baked potato on the BBQ, also some corn on the cob and a tomato bocconcini salad, as well as some fried onions and mushrooms for the steak. Finished with some baked fruit and whipping cream over mini angel food cups. Everyone loved it! Phew...
Yum! (Can I come over for dinner?) lol

So glad the evening went well!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol... thanks guys! I'm delighted that things are going so well too. I know I had my own hopes before this relationship ever started that it would turn out well despite the tremendous risk that we were (both) taking...

I can honestly say it's surpassed anything I ever expected. I never thought he would be so kind, generous, thoughtful, loving, and most of all truthful and expressive of his thoughts and feelings.

The only hurdle we have yet to pass is him meeting my folks. He has already met my sister and although she thinks he's a nice guy she thinks the age gap is insurmountable and doesn't support our relationship for that reason alone... it's kind of sad. I know my parents will also have a major issue with it even though I'm in my mid-30's! It's not like I'm 18 falling for a 39 year old.

Anyway we will probably face that later this summer as my mom is insisting on meeting "the new man" in my life, lol!

Who would have thought the biggest obstacle to our relationship would be my PARENTS rather than his addiction/recovery issues???

I'll try to check in more often.

Stay happy and strong,

T