Notices

Hi! I'm new here.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Hi! I'm new here.

Okay so I'm not exactly sure how this works, but today I will be attending my first meeting. I'm normally a very outgoing, fun person, BUT I can't sleep because I am so nervous about it. I read the BMA-Wellness First AA Meeting paper, but can anyone tell me a little about their first meeting? Thank you!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi and welcome

There is nothing to be nervous about but I can relate. My first meeting, I was a bundle of nerves but I am a very shy person around people I do not know. People welcomed me with open arms. I just did a lot of listening as I didn't have a ton to say and that was okay. I did raise my hand when they asked if it was anyone's first meeting. There was no pressure to say anything, I just introduced myself as being an addict/alcoholic.

Good luck with the meeting, let us know how it goes.

-Jess
Old 07-07-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to quit and seek help.

My first meeting was wonderful. A speaker meeting, with a room full of people trying to solve the problem of drink.
I found peace at last.

It took several attempts to actualy go to the meeting. I would go to the building and be too afraid to go in and go back home.

What a relief when I finaly attendeted. I didn't have to speak, and could relate to everything the speaker said. I found a home.
There's nothing to be scared of. You'll be with people from all walks of life, trying to solve the same problem.

I hope you do go, and let us know how it went.

Best to you.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first meeting was the hardest to get to. I dreaded it, but knew inside that I could not stop drinking without help and the resolve to at least try something. The price was right, too!

I was super hung over and ashamed and humiliated. The steps made no sense, except for the first one, which I could relate to.

After I realized it was nothing to dread after all, I tried to make as many varied meetings as I could. In New York City, this is really easy. The people in the rooms ranged from elderly to fashion model. All of them very kind and supportive.

You will not dread going to a second meeting. If you can, be sure to check out different meetings. Don't let just one decide things for you. They can be profoundly different, even though the basic format is the same. Good luck in your sobriety!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The hardest part is walking through those doors for the first time. I would venture to guess that you will be welcomed with open arms and given a newcomer packet that includes a bunch of phone numbers of AA members.

I did not talk/share in meetings for a LONG time and if I was called on I just said "My name is Elisabeth, I am an alcoholic and I am just listening tonight".

You will become more relaxed as you attend more meetings.

Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most AA meetings are similar in nature and vary slightly. There is also an earlier discussion on SR pertaining to the structure of AA meetings that may give you some insight.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...a-meeting.html
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for you replies and experiences. I'm still nervous, but it's comforting to know that most of you felt the same!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hockeylover, I hope you do whatever is required for you to begin recovery.

And, be sure to remember that there is always support here.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I remember being really nervous about not only my first AA meeting but lots of them.

At most meetings I've attended they ask towards the beginning of the meeting if this is anyone's first ever AA meeting. If so, they ask if you'd like a "first step meeting". All that is, is a few people share their stories with you and tell you how AA has worked for them. At my home group, they break out into a room in the back. Generally about 3-6 people that have been in the program for a little bit will go back with you and talk. You don't have to talk ..... you can just listen. You also don't even have to say you're an alcoholic ..... the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to quit drinking.

Good luck to you!!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR HockeyLover

D
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So, how did your first meeting go?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

hey and welcome

Well I hope you went and had a good feeling, and hopefully you saw that you did not need to be nervous, and that you found where you need to be

I am a hockey fan also grew up playin so keep comin back
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Actually very well thank you! The people were very nice and I am going back tomorrow. The only problem was that they forgot to update the schedule, so I was a half and hour early, but no biggie. I didn't even half the opportunity to talk since it only went an hour and there were a lot of girls there, but I stayed after and met some excellent people who shared a lot of the same experiences as myself!